Knee Surgery - Questions Please Help

diana627
on 10/1/14 3:49 am

So hello everyone - I am 5'4 and weigh 360lbs   I have a tear in my left knee medial meniscus.

I am in pain and scared to have surgery.

Has anyone had this Surgery?   Can you tell me your experience.

Diana

David147
on 4/6/15 5:32 pm

I'm sorry you hurt your knee and now need surgery! I haven't had ACL surgery, but last year I significanlty tore my meniscus in my knee and had arthroscopic surgery for that. 
So maybe I can still help some. 

As the other people have mentioned, it is super unlikely that you will wake up during surgery. It's rare when this happens. Your anesthesiologist sits down by your head the entire surgery and just monitors you. That's their job. He'll take good care of you. You don't need to fear waking up during surgery because it's not going to happen to you. 

With this type of surgery, general anesthesia is usually what is used. This is where the anesthesia is injected into your IV and you're completely asleep. Since it is general anesthesia, you'll be intubated too. 

You'll be able to move your leg some. It's not like your leg will be paralyzed or anything. You just won't want to move your leg around much. Yes, it'll be wrapped up in gauze and then wrapped in an ace bandage. You may wake up in a brace too. 

You'll need crutches to get around after surgery. 

If you've any more questions about surgery, having a general idea of what to expect, etc, please feel free to email me at [email protected] and I'll try to help if I can. 

Most Active