Exercise illiterate...

lmuse333
on 9/28/14 9:47 am

I am 6 weeks post-op as of tomorrow. Up until now I've just been walking 2-3 times a day. But I can really feel the weight coming off and stuff is starting to SAG!!! lol. So, turns out my dad has one of these home-gym things, that I never knew he had bc it was one of those "man" toys that my mom never let him set up. And he's giving it to me. I get to go pick it up tomorrow. Here's the link to the product: http://www.searsoutlet.com/Pro-4950-Weight-System/d/product_details.jsp?pid=1208&mode=seeAll

Anyway, I have ZERO idea about how to properly use something like this. My doctor wants me weight lifting now, and thats great but I don't know what I am psychically capable of doing or how to do it in a way that wont hurt me worse in the long run. Everyone I've talked to about weight lifting is telling me things like "you obviously arent going to be body building why do you need this" and "if you do it wrong you will screw your body up for life" and things like that. Which, in part I take with a grain of salt. But I don't know enough to know whether I'd be doing anything right or not.

And also, I'm getting this home gym for free, as opposed to spending money on monthly gym memberships. So it's not like I'm trying to bite off more than I can chew. It just makes more since to save money.

Does anyone have any advice on using a home gym for a workout?

Gwen M.
on 9/29/14 2:29 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Honestly?  I'd advise you to join a gym at least for a few months and work with a personal trainer to get a plan and have someone teach you how to safely lift.  Then you can start working out at home.  Bad form will lead to injury and then you'll never want to exercise.  So start off the right way.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

nfarris79
on 9/30/14 12:19 am - Germantown, MD

Congrats on getting the free gym! In your own place is the best commute ever!

Can you get an in-home trainer for a few sessions? Might help with learning how to use your new toy and proper form.... And, no, you don't have to be into body building to do strength training. Tell those nay-sayers that strength training is useful in all athletic endeavors, not just in training for Ms. Universe!

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

(deactivated member)
on 10/3/14 2:57 am - GA

Hello and congrats on your exercise commitment. Having a home gym is great. Its convenient, no gym cost, etc.. Having a home gym and not already familiar with exercising or at a high level of exercise commitment is usually not so great. If you are already not familiar with weight training and don't know the proper weight, reps, intensity, warm up and stretching routine you will either injure yourself or quickly become frustrated and lose interest. I suggest several options

1. Download the manual which will hopefully provide information on the different exercises you can do with you new equipment.

2. Hire a trainer. If you just want him/her to show you how to use the equipment maybe 1 or 2 visits but if you want a workout geared toward a specific goal and to get the best use from your equipment if affordable get 3 sessions a week (2 minimum****il you learn proper technique, etc..

3. Although you have done amazing walking and have had significant success when you start weight training you will begin to build muscle so the weight loss may become replaced with muscle building. Get a DVD designed for weight loss, fat burning, etc. At your fitness level get a DVD which will start you off slowly and over time gradually build your endurance, cardio and strength. May want to consider P90x, Zumba or Chair-A-Cise.

4. Do not try to create a fitness program on your own using your home gym. You will be wasting time, energy and effort which could be used to get results much quicker.

Most Active