Energy on long runs

fionax
on 7/17/14 3:43 am - VA

Hi all, I have recently started running (over the past 6 months- I am 9 months post RNY) and I am building up to longer runs. I have signed up for a half marathon in November so I am training for that.

My question is, what do you do for energy on long runs? The gels are too much sugar for us, right? 

I ran 6.5 miles last week and I felt completely drained and terrible for 2 days afterwards so I want to move forward in a safe way and I'd love to hear about anyone's experiences and how they have overcome them!

HW: 280    SW: 235     Surgery date: 10/28/13

MacMadame
on 7/17/14 10:59 pm - Northern, CA

I have a VSG so I just eat what everyone else eats. But so do my friends with RnY. They don't dump when they use gels and shots while doing endurance workouts and races even if they would dump if they ate that same food while sitting at a desk at work.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

nfarris79
on 7/18/14 5:56 pm - Germantown, MD

On the GUs, I echo what MacMadame said - your body may tolerate the concentrated glucose during endurance exercises more than you would if you weren't running. I am a dumper and have not ever dumped mid-run. That being said, I also find GU hits my pouch hard, especially the caffeinated ones (and not to be said what caffeine does to my GI system! Poop city!), so I usually do sport beans or clif blocks if needed, and after running for a couple years find that I only need mid-run energy for long runs >14mi. 

The feeling-bad-afterwards stuff has me wondering if it's an issue of recovery for you.... like taking a protein shake after running might make a difference? Also, when you're in your first year of running, your body is getting used to new energy demands and being in that first year of post RNY is pretty demanding too, so it just may be a learning curve until you build up your fitness base. I used to get all sorts of symptoms in that first year of running (knee pain, fatigue) that I no longer have because it took a while for my body to build its fitness base. What I find more important in recovery and feeling good thru runs is what I eat/drink in the day(s) before long runs, and not as much what I eat during a run - - making sure I'm properly hydrated (pee test - should be color of straw & no darker) and playing around with what I eat to avoid digestive distress but enough energy to get me thru the run. I'm also on MyFitnessPal so if you'd like to see what I eat, just send me a request on there. Good luck in your half!

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

TomN
on 7/22/14 11:11 am
RNY on 12/27/12 with

Typically I will have a Quest bar just before I go for a long run and if over 10 miles, a GU about six miles in.  I usually run five miles three times a week and the Quest bar works fine for me at that distance....plus they have 20 grams of protein and very low in sugar.  Good luck...for me, finishing that 1st Half Marathon in June, after never having been a runner prior to surgery, was just an amazing experience!

(deactivated member)
on 7/22/14 4:04 pm

I feel that running is a good way to keep ourselves fit.There are many exercises that can also help and you don't require to visit the gym.

Visit :http://weightloss5ws.com/category/exercise-workout/

kellybelly333
on 7/24/14 1:18 am - Toronto, Canada

I  can use GU, and built up a tolerance to it and sugar in general during my runs. I started off by just having a bit of one GU every 10 minutes or so. This is for long runs only (over one hour). But I know others who can't tolerate anything. It's been pretty much a learning process to figure out how my body works. And even then, it still surprises me! LOL. In the beginning I just made sure I ran in a place where there are public restrooms, just in case. I've only had to stop during three runs over the past 2 years, so I think that's pretty good. Somehow, on race day, I always manage to go right before the race. So lucky there!! Fingers crossed that continues for me!

Good luck!

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

docksandaltars
on 7/30/14 7:00 pm
RNY on 01/28/14 with

My nut recommended cheese or peanut butter crackers (you know, the Lance ones that are sold in vending machines.)  I have had great luck with these.  They are not totally empty calories and they have a little salt to help keep me hydrated.  I also use "puppy chow" (a snack made with chocolate chips, peanut butter, rice chex and powdered sugar.)  Again, not empty calories and a little salt.  I have learned to do these about 10 minutes before I'll need the energy rush, so: 50 min, 1hr 40min, 2hr 30min, 3hrs 20 min.  We always come back to a protein shake (usually with a a piece of banana or some yogurt for good measure) within an hour of finishing the run.

docksandaltars
on 7/30/14 7:11 pm
RNY on 01/28/14 with

Sorry, I should have asked if this is your first long run?  We just started running in mid-March.  Our first long run left us similarly drained.  However, we've done 4-10miler's in the past 6wks and we are fine after a good night's rest.  I have to admit that I fell at mile 8 of my 2nd 10-miler and hobbled all the way home.  But again, was perfectly fine the next day.  Hang in there.  Are you doing Wine and Dine 1/2 in November?

CAnutfarmer
on 8/5/14 9:47 am

I use the gels anytime I'm running more than an hour. Just look for the low sugar ones. GU and Hammer both have gels that are under 8g of sugar.  Start at 45 minutes into your long run and use one every hour. It really helps.I also will eat a slice of wheat toast with peanut butter and some greek yogurt an hour or so before a race of 6-13 miles and always have my water bottle in hand.

Hope this helps!

HW 254 SW 247 CW 162 GW 145  

First 5K                                        37:48
First Trail 1/2 Marathon            3hr 30min
First Regular 1/2 Marathon     3hr 7min
1/2 Marathon 5/20/12               3hr 6min
Most Active