Exercising 3 weeks out

rene_aycock7
on 6/9/14 11:53 pm

I have tried walking, and even did zumba for a whole 8 and a half minutes, but I still feel so fatigued, and just have not been able to do it. Even though surgeon said 20-30 minute walks would be great daily. Anyone experiencing same problems?

danslillady
on 6/10/14 2:11 am

You are only 3 weeks post major abdominal surgery, which has restricted the amount of calories you can consume.  You are recovering and you are not eating a lot of calories!  Of course you are tired!  Do what you can and then cut yourself some major slack!  In a few months you will have more energy! In 6 months, you will be good as new!

HW: 274 SW: 241  CW: 149 --- 5'6 (Surgery date 11/26/2013)

rene_aycock7
on 6/10/14 6:37 am

Yes, your are right. Just ready to feel like myself, and not so sluggish all the time.

danslillady
on 6/11/14 10:34 pm

I totally understand that! I felt the same way!  I took naps everyday for 6 weeks I was just so exhausted.  Now, about 7 months later I am better than I ever was! This, too, shall pass!

HW: 274 SW: 241  CW: 149 --- 5'6 (Surgery date 11/26/2013)

cabin111
on 6/10/14 6:27 am

Patience grasshopper.  Take it easy...Allow for the healing process to take place.  There will be plenty of time (a lifetime) to exercise hard.  Just work on easy movements and toning.  Sleep when and where you can, for the healing.  Sipping fluids all day long.  Boring stuff.  There were days I would try and grab for the energy, but it wasn't there (post op).  The scale had me dropping...But no energy.  It will return in about 5-6 months.  But during rapid weight loss, your body is using your fat cells (cycling out through your liver...Glycogen) for your energy.  It's great for weigh loss...But terrible for trying to find tons of energy.  Brian

rene_aycock7
on 6/10/14 6:38 am

Yes, it definitely all is a challenge, but one I knew I had to do. I keep telling myself this too shall pass, and hanging on to scripture that I can do all things through Christ! Thanks for the input!

MacMadame
on 6/12/14 1:33 am - Northern, CA

At 3 weeks out, I couldn't do anything that stressed my core -- and Zumba would definitely count for that! You could get an incisional hernia if you do core work too soon after surgery! Most programs have lifting restrictions for 6 weeks after and that's about when I found I could do core work again as well.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

rene_aycock7
on 6/12/14 1:56 am

Yes, definitely do not want to overdo it. I have only done zumba a few times and only for about 8 and half minutes that's about all I can do, and trying to walk more. I will get there just got to be patient, which is definitely not my virtue.

Nikkitherascal
on 6/17/14 5:25 am

I'm in my 3rd week post op as well. Today was the first day of no pain meds. I'm happy with that. Slow and steady will win this race. I'm going to try my first 20 minute walk this evening. I am in sw Florida and it is 96 degrees outside right now. Just driving caused the pain to flare up, so I'm just trying to relax and not overdue it. That is the hard part. I feel like I'm watching time stand still. I'm very much a busy body so this recovery is a new challenge all it's own.

mgk48
on 6/25/14 6:16 am

I am 9 weeks out and honestly have done no exercise. I need a knee replacement and therefore cannot do any weight bearing exercise. Do not have access to a pool. I think you being 3 weeks out you are still recovering. Give yourself some time to recuperate.

mgk48

Most Active