Let's get real here--how do you work the potty issues when running?

PetHairMagnet
on 3/11/14 9:22 pm
RNY on 05/13/13

So the only change in my body I would say is negative is my inability to really control when I use the bathroom for a BM. There are times I can tell I need to go, but it is not happening and yet, I need to run. I have mapped out where the bathrooms are on several of my run courses, but had an issue recently where I was just under a mile (12 minutes) away from the next known toilet and I almost ran to a door and knocked, I was so desperate. I turned a corner and VOILA--a porta potty was set up for the workers laying the new water pipe. I dashed in there like the winning lottery ticket was awaiting me and used it. 

While I know none of you know me IRL, I can simply attest that when I shared this with my husband he was silent for a moment and then put his hand on my arm and said "If you want to talk about this later, I am here for you. I can't imagine what it took for you to go in there, period. But to sit down!? Wow." And then he hugged me.  So, to put it mildly, it was EMERGENCY TIME.

But I'd really like to be able to be more proactive in getting my business done at home before a run. 

Thoughts/ideas/techniques? I am not wanting to find out what might have happened if the water pipe workers hadn't had a potty on my path!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

nfarris79
on 3/12/14 10:36 am - Germantown, MD

OOOOOH YEAH! Runner's runs.... They ain't fun! Some runners swear by taking immodium or pepto before races but I'd shy away from both. What I do is get up early before long runs and take a nice strong cup of coffee and get my system clean before I hit the road. I also make sure I'm not eating too fibrous or greasy food the night before. If I run in the afternoon, I try to time my last meal to be at least a couple hours before running and often take a GasX (or 5...) so that I know if there's pressure down there, it's the kind that should NOT come out! Hope these ideas help.... And there's no shame in pooing yourself. Most runners I know have at least a story or two that have embarrassing bodily functions happening in nature/public/etc.

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

PetHairMagnet
on 3/12/14 11:57 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On March 12, 2014 at 5:36 PM Pacific Time, nfarris79 wrote:

OOOOOH YEAH! Runner's runs.... They ain't fun! Some runners swear by taking immodium or pepto before races but I'd shy away from both. What I do is get up early before long runs and take a nice strong cup of coffee and get my system clean before I hit the road. I also make sure I'm not eating too fibrous or greasy food the night before. If I run in the afternoon, I try to time my last meal to be at least a couple hours before running and often take a GasX (or 5...) so that I know if there's pressure down there, it's the kind that should NOT come out! Hope these ideas help.... And there's no shame in pooing yourself. Most runners I know have at least a story or two that have embarrassing bodily functions happening in nature/public/etc.

I guess I feel a LITTLE better knowing that there is a history behind pooing oneself and I'd not be the first...but I will also openly say I hope to avoid joining that particular sorority for a while, lol!

Never have tried the GasX, I'll get some and give it a try the next few weeks and see how that helps. I drink a pot (or two) of coffee a day, but I do have an espresso machine and could start havin gone of them a few hours before and that might be the magic ticket, if you will. 

Thanks!! :)

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

weightloser1
on 3/12/14 10:37 pm

I don't have any idea. I only run.

My health is my Highest Priority.

Kim S.
on 3/27/14 2:33 am - Helena, AL

I am the master of my poo.  My poo knows it must evacuate before my morning shower.  Period.  And on gym days, I have bonus poo.  After work, before gym.  Sit in the bathroom and say loudly in a German accent:  POO COME DOWN! And make sure you are authoritative.  

PetHairMagnet
on 3/27/14 8:03 pm
RNY on 05/13/13
On March 27, 2014 at 9:33 AM Pacific Time, Kim S. wrote:

I am the master of my poo.  My poo knows it must evacuate before my morning shower.  Period.  And on gym days, I have bonus poo.  After work, before gym.  Sit in the bathroom and say loudly in a German accent:  POO COME DOWN! And make sure you are authoritative.  

Lol, this cracked me up! :)

White Dove
on 3/27/14 10:01 pm - Warren, OH

When I started running, long term runners suggested carrying some toilet paper and always running a course alongside or through the woods.  I also was advised never to wear white running pants. The world was a very different place 50 years ago.

I never carried toilet paper, but do have some emergency measures.  A jar of gelatin suppositories, a box of Fleet enemas, Imodium, and a box of Butterfly anal leakage pads.   A combination of age, diabetes, weakening anal muscles (kegels are very helpful) and the larger, looser and more frequent stools after RNY have made me very conscious of having things cleaned out before running, a long walk, swimming or a trip to the gym for weight lifting. 

Getting in enough fiber, including a fiber supplement once or twice a day, getting up early enough to not be rushed before going out, and establishing a regular time are all important.  Most of the time, there are no issues.  In emergencies, I do something to issue there are no surprises. 

PetHairMagnet
on 3/27/14 10:25 pm
RNY on 05/13/13

I literally JUST found out about the butterfly pads this week! Interesting to see them mentioned here, too! I will say, I've been afraid to use Imodium for fear I'll be backed up like Atlanta traffic!

White Dove
on 3/27/14 10:46 pm - Warren, OH

Yeah, I have x-lax in the medicine cabinet too.

Most Active