Pilates after RNY

AdviceMama
on 3/3/14 12:07 am

Can you tell me if Pilates is something you feel helped and if you are still doing it.  Also, how much should I pay a trainer? I live in Texas and there are two studios but the trainer and client work out prices.

Day_dream_believer
on 3/3/14 4:13 am

I take a pilates class twice a week.  The first few months I cursed every time I went and the only reason I came back is because I forgot how much it hurt.  3 years later I try not to miss a session and actually look forward to it.  It is one part of my routine.  I also do 5 days of cardio and 3 days of weights.  My instructor tells us that muscle is made downstairs in the "gym" and it is sculpted with pilates.  It is great for developing core strength.  The biggest difference I saw was my back pain went away.  Over Christmas I went out of town for 2 weeks and the pain came back.  Once I started working my core again it went away.

Trainers here are based off experience and education.  Mine has been doing it for years and continues to update her training.  I paid $80.00 an hour.  She is one of the more expensive ones out of my gym.  Others are anywhere from 60-70 an hour.  We are in South Texas.  This was for personal training.  I don't pay extra  for pilates.  As it worked out, my trainer was also my pilates instructor.

Tamiasmom
on 3/11/14 12:12 pm - Chicago , IL

Did Pilates help tighten excess skin?

Day_dream_believer
on 3/12/14 3:01 am

No amount of exercise will tighten excess skin.  What pilates does (and  stregnth training) is build muscle.  It will help you look better and feel better, but the skin will still be there.  The only thing that will work is good genes and plastic surgery.

Tamiasmom
on 3/12/14 3:29 am - Chicago , IL

Thank you! I'm pre-op just doing my research early. I'm happily excited about all of the possibilities that my new life will bring. I'm gratefu for my predecessors. 

Most Active