Has anyone joined a military/para-military organization since WLS?

fernypants
on 3/2/14 7:51 am - MD

I had a VSG seven years ago and have maintained a fairly steadyish weight (approx 220) since then. I want to join my local police department, and the biggest challenge for me will be getting in shape enough to pass the agility exam and get through Academy. I'm already active, but I have a lot of ground to make up, especially in my upper-body strength. Has anyone successfully joined the military or another para-military organization after their WLS? I'm just looking for a little inspiration. :)

Cristie Ferny Pants 343/205/170
cabin111
on 3/2/14 8:23 am

In general...I hope those who have tried will post.  We had a woman (Gulf War veteran) who left the army I believe.  She gained weight, had RNY.  Got so strong, she did marathons and triathlons...But the army would not let her go back.  This was a few years ago when they really needed solders with training.  So military no, police probably.  Going through a state trooper program might be difficult.  But going through a POST can be done...Which can lead to police, sheriff, and prisions.  I believe this is correct (but don't quote me).  Brian

fernypants
on 3/2/14 8:25 am - MD

That's interesting, do you know why they wouldn't let her back in?

cabin111
on 3/2/14 9:09 am, edited 3/2/14 9:10 am

With RNY (and DS) they are worried about getting vitamins and such to them in the field.  If you needed an iron transfusion in the middle of nowhere, it could be a problem.  The military has made it a hard and fast rule...

We brought this up on the Main Board a year or two ago.  We heard from former military people...We got a whole wide range of views...But the military answer is NO!!  I think it is wrong.  If you have a doctor, nurse, engineer, EMT who has had WLS...And they are in great shape...And have been in great shape for years, they are qualified and needed in the military.  Just me.

cabin111
on 3/2/14 8:41 am

One other thing you need to consider.  During the background checks they will see your weight gain and loss.  If you have dropped the weight for the test...Pass the test, they still may reject you.  Sorry, but if I were them I would (trying not to be cruel...Just honest).  If I see someone lose weight quickly for the test, I would wonder if they would gain it back quickly, and it would be an issue over the years...With them regaining the weight back.  They would have problems with future retest in later years is my thinking.  Also during the probation period you would have to keep the weight off.  They could let you go for any reason.  They don't want to put in tons of $ for training, and then force you out in 6 months or a year.  I would be more likely to hire someone who has kept the weight off over several years...Just my thinking.  Brian

MacMadame
on 3/2/14 9:03 am - Northern, CA

The military has a standard policy of not allowing people with WLS to serve. They consider that it makes you not fit for combat, probably because of the eating restrictions and issues, but it seems like they should do it on a case by case basis not have a blanket restriction like they do.

However, I know at least one police officer on OH who had WLS. She was planning out how to get through the liquid phase while patrolling in her police car. I don't know of any first responder groups that have a blanket restriction. It would just be a matter of getting into shape and there's no reason you couldn't do that as people with WLS do marathons and Crossfit and related stuff all the time.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

fernypants
on 3/2/14 9:22 am - MD

Okay, so no military. Good thing I don't want to join the military, huh? :)

(Interestingly, though, I had a friend who weighed over 300lbs, and he wanted desperately to join the Army, so he lost over 100lbs and enlisted. The recruiters were with him the whole way. It's interesting that that would be celebrated but weight loss through surgery would be reason for elimination.)

Does anyone have any encouraging stories about joining law-enforcement post-op?

weightloser1
on 3/2/14 5:05 pm

i only follow up some natural way not RNY. so i prefer to do  only physical work.

Don 1962
on 3/2/14 7:18 pm

Time permitting I'll send you a PM with more details but the answer is "yes" as far as law enforcement is concerned.  You may have to aim smaller than Des Moines PD but it can be done.  You could also go into law enforcement as a jailer/animal control/code enforcement officer and transition to a patrol job.  That way you could get some exposure to life on the thin blue line and be able to know if that is what you want to do for 20+ years.   

fernypants
on 3/2/14 11:10 pm - MD

Thanks Don, I would love to hear the story. :)

Most Active