Need assistance on a workout routine, please!

DeDication
on 2/24/14 2:55 am

Hey everyone! I hope all is well and everyone is happy on their road to great success and enjoying it! I am scheduled for RNY surgery on Monday March 3rd 2014-- this coming Monday! Ahhh  I just want to bounce off the walls right now!

Any ways, I am here to ask for any help/ advice on a great workout routine for after surgery? I need to mainly focus on my mid section, back ( where I carry most of my weight ) I want to excell as best as I can with eating right and excercise! I was looking at Zumba fitness and P90X. Anyone doing any of these workout routines? I would like to get in the best shape I have ever been in my life, gain some nice muscle mass in my arms and perhaps lean out my stomach and get abs! All I have is hard work and dedication on my side! I am open to anything new and love to learn new ways to adapt and grow!

Thank you all in advance! Best wishes and luck to all of you!!

PetHairMagnet
on 2/24/14 4:42 am
RNY on 05/13/13

I did not do any intensive core work for 6 weeks or so. I walked 2.5 miles in the hospital, 1/2 a mile at a time over 15 hours or so, and walked daily when I was home and then started elliptical and yoga and Pilates then C25K and now a half marathon training program.

P90X is pretty intense, I think you'd want to be at least a month out for that level of intensity and frankly, if you are not already doing well with endurance, I'd focus on that instead of a program. That is just me, I'm not a sports physiologist or anything, but I do know that when my son, who was playing varsity football at the time, did the P90X it wiped him out and he was already able to do a LOT!

I see lots of people (not just WLS patients) who love Zumba and it is just NOT for me, but give it a try! 

My biggest advice is two fold--be sure you have the right, properly fitted shoes for whatever you are doing and NEVER sign a contract until you know you are doing what you will be doing for a very long time. Each thing I tried I did with a 5 or 10 class pass first. Have never regretted that...ever! :)

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

cabin111
on 2/24/14 8:10 am

Your first 6 weeks will be light walking and movement.  You will be getting a lot of rest to allow for the healing of your surgery.  More rest and walking...Sleep when and where you can.  Those who try and exercise too hard, too fast, have had major issues down the road...Just keep that in mind.  You may want to get an elastic band...For the first 6 weeks.  This is just an idea...No straining.  Many places have these...They get boring after awhile.  See below.

1. mir ab fitness power speed resistance band workout kits strong tube
  2. elastic band exercises
  3. Physical Therapy Equipment & Supplies
  4. resistance bands workout chart
  5. -Fitness-Resistance-Bands-Set-Tube-Elastic-Exercise-Bands-resistance ...
  6. Exercise Band Upper Body Workout (with photos)
  7. Resistance Exercises
  8. Upper Body Resistance Band Circuit
  9. You will get tired of them quickly as you drop the weight.  I went for one sport to another till I found the one that fit me...Each person is different.  Walking is the most popular.  Then things like walk-jog...Couch to 5 K is another popular one.  What you may want to do is drag out all your old exercise videos (we all have them with the greatest intentions!!) and see which one works.  Or trying different ones on Youtube first, before you buy.  Don't assume you will be going in one direction...It just doesn't work that way.  Over the years I have seen people take on mountain biking, bike riding, jogging, rollerblading, hiking mountains, swimming.  Just saying the way you think you'll go, may not be the one you end up with.  Brian  PS  On rainy days, I will put on some rock music and make a path around the house and walk for 45 minutes...Add some 2 pound weights...Making lemonade out of lemons...
weightloser1
on 2/24/14 2:58 pm

good! good one. i think it is very helpful.

DeDication
on 2/26/14 9:21 am

Well that all looks great! I am still in search of more detailed workout routines, I have done p90x for the past month but not the complete system just some and I love zumba fitness-- it is wonderful! More details and ideas?? throw them at me--I am up for all ideas! :-)

cabin111
on 2/27/14 10:14 am

More thoughts off the top of my head.  During the rapid weightloss period you may not have much energy.  Remember it takes energy to get up, go to the bathroom, shower, eat breakfast, walk to the car, drive to work, work, go on breaks, drive home, do chores.  Your energy will be zapped for the first few months.  You will try and reach for energy, and it just won't be there...You have been warned.  Before you could grab a Snickers Bar...Not after RNY.  The energy level comes back, but it may take months.  Men and younger women lose the weight the fastest...In general.  Not being prejudiced, just take the same woman at age 30 vs 50 (same weight).  In general she can move better at 30=more energy expended.  One last thing...Know the signs of dehydration.  Dehydration is the # 1 reason RNY patients reenter the hospital.  Just keep the signs of dehydration in the back of your mind...You can look them up on the internet.  Brian

DeDication
on 2/28/14 2:16 am

Thank you!

lonnierjones
on 2/27/14 10:50 am

Hi, I replied to your latest post about butt workout and didn't have an idea you're having a surgery so my apologies. I had gastric bypass surgery myself back in December last year and didn't do much workout until after a couple of weeks later. Forget about the vertical crunch, but I think the lunges without weights can work for you, just be careful not to overdo it.

DeDication
on 2/28/14 2:16 am

That is perfectly fine, thank you for your help, I appreciate it bunches!

weightloser1
on 2/27/14 1:38 pm

tp work out simply is the best and ideal method for it. i think you should go naturally.

Most Active