Eating back calories burn

hasemom
on 2/5/14 2:56 am - Wahiawa, HI

I realize this is an Exercise and Fitness forum, so I apologize if I'm in the wrong for asking here.   I'm 3 yrs Post RNY, I keep my daily calorie intake around 1200.  I workout 5-6 days a week and burn anywhere between 700-900 calories each time(I use a HRM to calculate).  Some days I'll eat back the calories I've burned and other days I dont.  My question is how many of you eat back your calories.   Thank you!

MacMadame
on 2/5/14 5:02 am - Northern, CA

I eat to maintain my weight. Mostly I eat to my hunger levels and don't keep track of calories. If I'm going up, then I go back to tracking. Same with when I'm in an intensive training phase and I am having trouble keeping weight on.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

hasemom
on 2/5/14 5:38 am - Wahiawa, HI

I'm still trying to lose to get to goal weight, which I probably should have stated that in my post.  Thank you for responding.

MacMadame
on 2/5/14 6:35 am - Northern, CA

I NEVER "ate back" calories when I was losing. To me, that entire concept -- which is pushed big time on websites like My Fitness Pal and others -- shows a horrible relationship with exercise and food and a complete misunderstanding of why to do exercise and I wish they'd cut it out and stop pushing this idea.

Exercise is not something you do in order to "earn" food. It's something you to do be healthy and to have fun. Yes, it burns more calories than sitting around. But going shopping on a Saturday and hitting 5 stores can sometimes burn as much as going for a run. But no one talks about "eating back" their "exercise" calories when they go shopping. So why is going for a run somehow different? It's not!

My program had me eating a certain amount on average per day and exercising a certain amount on average per week. I followed my program and they adjusted my amounts as my activity levels changed based also on my results. It worked. Most programs want you doing a certain amount of exercise and the amount they have you eating is based on that. If you eat more on days you exercise, you defeat your program!

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

PetHairMagnet
on 2/6/14 8:19 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On February 5, 2014 at 1:38 PM Pacific Time, hasemom wrote:

I'm still trying to lose to get to goal weight, which I probably should have stated that in my post.  Thank you for responding.

Three years out and not at goal...my nutritionist would tell you not to eat even ONE of your exercise calories. 

She only wants you doing that if you are doing something INTENSIVE, like marathon training (half doesn't count) and are within 10 lbs of goal. Those who have followed her advice at group are slender. Those who have not...battle on. One woman last night who is TEN YEARS OUT with a revision in late 2012 is still over 100 lbs overweight (was only 160 over to begin with) eats half her exercise calories. If I were ever to consider eating my exercise calories, she about cured me of that last night. 

Great you are working out--but let it burn it off you, don't eat your exertions. That is my advice at least. :)

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

nfarris79
on 2/5/14 7:14 pm - Germantown, MD

I used to, mostly when I was still earlier out, but recently I've stopped adding my exercise to MFP when I track because it was feeling way too easy to use exercise as the excuse to eat more calories... and the scale was starting to let me know I was operating under a delusion! So I've focused on just keeping my cals under 1300 regardless of how much I run. I'm almost at 3 yrs postop too.

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

KittenLove
on 2/9/14 12:07 am - Around Knoxville, TN
Girl how in the heck do u run at 1300 calories? Maybe a 3-4 miler a few times a week i could.. U stay at that even for long runs?

Be happy. 

PetHairMagnet
on 2/10/14 4:05 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On February 9, 2014 at 8:07 AM Pacific Time, KittenLove wrote:
Girl how in the heck do u run at 1300 calories? Maybe a 3-4 miler a few times a week i could.. U stay at that even for long runs?

I do 8 mile runs and am not yet at 800 calories a day. Very protein intensive, but I don't have any fatigue issues. 

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

weightloser1
on 2/7/14 9:12 pm

eating is the natural habit. i think so. you can maintain your body by taking the proper nutritions.

Most Active