Apps like Couch 2 5K minus running?

michellebrad
on 1/28/14 11:53 pm - Eastlake, OH

Hi all!  I have read a lot about the Couch to 5K so I checked it out, but I can't do it.. because it's for running :(  I soooo can't run.  Does anyone have an app (I have android) or something that they do that inspires, motivates and gives them a plan to follow?  Just looking for some ideas, both pre and post op.  My surgery is scheduled for 2/19, but I kinda want to get started now.  Anything that you do that helps you would be great.  I am so excited about this journey and am really looking forward to NOT BEING FAT!!!!!!!  :\

Highest weight: 389   Weight at day of surgery: 370   Surgery Date: 2/19/14

PetHairMagnet
on 1/29/14 1:27 am
RNY on 05/13/13

You are right. You cannot run now. But that doesn't mean you cannot run.

The C25K is FOR those that cannot run...and turns them into runners!

When I first started my only rule was that when it said run I would and when it said stop I would. And I did. I repeated one week when I felt I could not go from 5 to 8 minutes or from 8 to 12...I don't even remember now which one it was. But the bottom line is, when I started, I had to really push myself to get a whole 30 seconds of running in without stopping and now I can run a 5K without even thinking about it and I am training for a half marathon. I started running last summer. 

Tell yourself you can or you can't...either way, you'll be right!

If you DO decide to go the C25K route, my advice is to be fitted for shoes at a place where they don't care if you buy the shoes there, will allow you to return them once you have run in them for a few days and will refer you elsewhere if the shoe you need they do not stock in your size. I am a huge fan of video assessment, but I do know people that have had successful 'eyeball' assessments. Mostly though, a lot of trial and error from what I understand. Video is pretty mu*****ontrovertible. 

Good luck, and I do hope you'll do the C25K and come to love running!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

billmacc7
on 1/29/14 9:59 am - MA

Agree with the other post about the C25K, I started using it to do my 1st 5K, Now I have done a bunch of them, a couple 10K's and even a 1/2 Marathon!!! Hope it works for u, running is a great way to both lose and maintain weight!

Yours in WLS Journey,

Bill Mac

pismogirl
on 2/1/14 2:08 pm

Hi Michelle,

I am 8 months post op RNY. I had my surgery on May 22 and have lost 100lbs so far. I began at 306. I still have a way to go but it's been an inspiring journey. I use My Fitness Pal. You can create and add your exercises as you do them and it saves them for future use. Everything from hiking to cycling to using the elyptical and free weights in the gym. Plus is has a food logging section to keep track of what you eat. You can keep it private or connect with others who use it and there's a mobil ap for your phone. Give it a try. And by the way Congratulations on making the choice to go through with your surgery It will be life changing for you. It's added years to my life and changed my perspective on food and exercise. I no longer loathe exercise. I crave it. Good luck on your journey  Kris   ps  here's the website www.myfitnesspal.com 

What would you attempt to do if failure was not an option?

?

joanie17
on 2/9/14 1:23 am - Fullerton, CA
VSG on 02/19/14

My surgery is also 2/19!  I cannot run either.  I use map my walk, its a great app and will create routes for you if you want.  I am hoping to do a 5K walk at the end of April.

weightloser1
on 2/19/14 4:30 pm

running is a simple technique. it does not require any tips. i think so. if you are suffering from any serious health condition. then you can't run. and this is the excuse. but if you are really excited then you should have the mentally preparation for running that can give you lots of benefits.

Most Active