Problems after workouts

jdarling
on 1/29/14 3:10 am

Hi All,

I am 13 months post op vertical sleeve surgery.  I have lost 108 lbs and am trying to keep up a workout schedule.  I have been using a rowing machine, EFX and treadmill (not all in one workout).  The last two times after my workout, I have had some problems that occur about 10 minutes after my workout.  My heart starts to pound pretty fast (really racing) and I get light headed and feel like a may pass out.  This does not happen during the workout.  I know I need to talk to my doctor about this but have not had the opportunity yet.  I wanted to find out if any of you have had this problem and if you found out what causes it.  I will only be walking until I can find out what is going on.

PetHairMagnet
on 1/29/14 6:54 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On January 29, 2014 at 11:10 AM Pacific Time, jdarling wrote:

Hi All,

I am 13 months post op vertical sleeve surgery.  I have lost 108 lbs and am trying to keep up a workout schedule.  I have been using a rowing machine, EFX and treadmill (not all in one workout).  The last two times after my workout, I have had some problems that occur about 10 minutes after my workout.  My heart starts to pound pretty fast (really racing) and I get light headed and feel like a may pass out.  This does not happen during the workout.  I know I need to talk to my doctor about this but have not had the opportunity yet.  I wanted to find out if any of you have had this problem and if you found out what causes it.  I will only be walking until I can find out what is going on.

Are you cooling down to a lower heart rate after your workout, or just stopping? 

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

jdarling
on 2/12/14 6:58 am

I usually try to cool down like walking slow for five minutes or do some stretching after the workout.

danslillady
on 2/2/14 10:08 pm

Have you eaten before the work out?

HW: 274 SW: 241  CW: 149 --- 5'6 (Surgery date 11/26/2013)

jdarling
on 2/12/14 6:57 am

Sometimes I do eat before the workout and sometimes I do not.  This problem happens even if I do eat something small before the workout.

weightloser1
on 2/14/14 7:16 pm

i do exercise regular but i feel the need to take five min rest. the walking is a good exercise for health but you should take care to take at least several mins of break.

(deactivated member)
on 3/28/14 8:07 am - GA

2 great points made earlier. You have to give your body an opportunity to cool down after raising your heart rate so high. If you just stop all of a sudden it can really shock your body and cause you to as you mentioned faint and pass out. Gradually bring your heart rate down for about 5 minutes. Also, be sure your food intake is sufficient previous to your workout. If you are not eating enough you may be able to start off strong but eventually you will hit a wall and you may hit it fast and again shock your body or maybe just pushed it beyond your food for fuel storage.

MacMadame
on 3/29/14 3:52 am - Northern, CA

Does it happen when you walk and cool down? Stretching after is probably too abrupt a stop. But the walking and gradually cooling down should be okay.

Also, be sure to drink enough water during your workouts so you don't get dehydrated.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Most Active