Carbs when doing CrossFit?

PetHairMagnet
on 1/13/14 5:04 am
RNY on 05/13/13

I signed up for a month of CrossFit (Warrior Training is what they call it here) and the guy is HARD CORE pushing carbs before and after workouts. I keep my carbs under 25 grams a day right now as I am still working on losing. 

So my question is...SHOULD I be eating carbs after a muscle intensive workout? I have protein about 75 minutes before my runs (training for a half) and within 15 minutes of returning home. Because I have a 6a class, I only drink about 5 grams of protein before the class, but had a 36g shake ready and waiting in my car for the drive home today. He said my body needs carbs to rebuild after a Warrior session (which I do on the days I do not run) and wanted to come here and get the 411 from those that have BTDT. 

I had RNY and would really like to hear from others that had that same surgery and how they approached carbs during training. 

THANK YOU!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

LJ1972
on 1/13/14 7:27 am - FL

You need more carbs for hardcore weight or HIIT training, but be careful with it since you are still in your "magic window" of weight loss.  Do you have a dietitian you can ask?  I eat way more carbs, but I am also 2 1/2 years out.

COURAGE TO START, STRENGTH TO ENDURE, RESOLVE TO FINISH 
                              HW 353 SW 317 Original GW 180  Current Wt  170 
                               First 5k 59:18; 5k PR 32:06;  1st 10k 1:20:27; PR 1:08:36
                                                    1st Half Marathon 2:48

Pensacola Double Bridge Run 15k- 1:47:34
                                                  Three Sprint Triathlons

PetHairMagnet
on 1/13/14 7:58 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On January 13, 2014 at 3:27 PM Pacific Time, LJ1972 wrote:

You need more carbs for hardcore weight or HIIT training, but be careful with it since you are still in your "magic window" of weight loss.  Do you have a dietitian you can ask?  I eat way more carbs, but I am also 2 1/2 years out.

I meet with my nutritionist next Monday and was thinking I'd just have a plain Greek yogurt as my base in the shake I make on Wed and Mon (the only two days working on the Warrior classes until I see her) and will see what she says. But I wanted to get some feedback here to discuss with her and evaluate for myself.  :)  I have 23 lbs to go and do not want to sideline my success, but also don't want to be harming my body by not giving it what it needs. 

KWIM?

:)

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Day_dream_believer
on 1/13/14 8:00 am

I have always been told by my trainer to do carbs before a work out and protein within 30 minutes after a work out.  I have never done cross fit, but I was doing an intense weight/ cardio class with this trainer.  I usually eat more than 25 grams of carbs a day, but I am over 2 years out. 

PetHairMagnet
on 1/13/14 8:51 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On January 13, 2014 at 4:00 PM Pacific Time, Day_dream_believer wrote:

I have always been told by my trainer to do carbs before a work out and protein within 30 minutes after a work out.  I have never done cross fit, but I was doing an intense weight/ cardio class with this trainer.  I usually eat more than 25 grams of carbs a day, but I am over 2 years out. 

I was thinking of suggesting to my nutritionist that I could eat a yogurt (plain Greek with some SF syrup for flavor) prior to workout and then a Muscle Egg shake after the workout. I also don't want to have any 'carb/potty' issues during my workout, either, lol. That would not be fun for anyone! ;)

Day_dream_believer
on 1/14/14 5:51 am

I have found that I do best if I drink a protein shake in the morning before I exercise.  A few weeks ago I was running a 5K and decided to do oatmeal with pecans.  Bad idea...my blood sugar dropped right before the race started.  I don't know if it was too many carbs early in the morning or what, but I will never do that again.

(deactivated member)
on 1/14/14 2:32 am

Nice, congratulations!

jimjayhawk
on 1/14/14 6:16 pm
RNY on 02/10/13

I'd work closely with your NUT. I've yet to meet a trainer who didn't have their own unique notions about nutrition... little if any of it with much actual medical or scientific basis. 

PetHairMagnet
on 1/15/14 5:29 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On January 15, 2014 at 2:16 AM Pacific Time, jimjayhawk wrote:

I'd work closely with your NUT. I've yet to meet a trainer who didn't have their own unique notions about nutrition... little if any of it with much actual medical or scientific basis. 

I am getting the same feeling, lol. :) Glad I see my nutritionist on Monday!

MacMadame
on 1/15/14 3:09 pm - Northern, CA

I never take nutritional advice from trainers unless they have some kind of special training and unless they show me they know what they are talking about.

When I was in your place in the process, I would save my carbs and eat them around my workouts rather than eating *more* carbs than my program allowed. It worked for me.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Most Active