Advice from those who have lost their weight

Belter36
on 12/29/13 8:12 am, edited 12/29/13 8:20 am

Hi guys. I was just wondering about those of you that has lost over 100lbs. did you have a lot of wrinkled skin or areas of extra hanging fat that over time have gone away and the skin has tightened? I have those terrible hanging arms and a layer of fat on my thighs that won't go away and my skin is sagging a bit on my arms and the middle of my stomach. Any one have good news to give me like it will eventually firm up? LOL

LJ1972
on 12/29/13 12:53 pm - FL

hey there.... lost 185lbs.  I am very active and fairly well toned / defined.  And I have "bat wings" , saggy wrinkly belly skin and floppy skin on my thighs.   Unfortunately, skin tightness is  lost / gained based more on how heavy you were, for how long, genetics, skin care etc  than on the gym.  I don't even worry about my flappy arms anymore, because people have to choose to see the bagginess rather than the definition.  The only "real" answer to excess skin is surgical removal

COURAGE TO START, STRENGTH TO ENDURE, RESOLVE TO FINISH 
                              HW 353 SW 317 Original GW 180  Current Wt  170 
                               First 5k 59:18; 5k PR 32:06;  1st 10k 1:20:27; PR 1:08:36
                                                    1st Half Marathon 2:48

Pensacola Double Bridge Run 15k- 1:47:34
                                                  Three Sprint Triathlons

Belter36
on 12/29/13 8:15 pm

I was afraid of that....surgery is out of the picture because of the cost....sad to hear but I guess it is what it is.cool Thank you for answering my post.

MacMadame
on 12/30/13 4:59 am - Northern, CA

Don't know if you want to hear from a second person but ... what she said.

Skin is an organ like lungs or kidneys. Exercise works on your muscles directly and your organs indirectly. So it directly improves your muscles, including the heart, and that makes you healthier which benefits your other body functions. Exercise can make your skin glow and it even can help a tiny, tiny bit with elasticity. Not enough to avoid plastic surgery, but maybe enough not to need as much anti-aging cream. Also, having muscles gives your skin something nice to hang over and that improves your overall appearance.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

PetHairMagnet
on 1/5/14 12:00 pm
RNY on 05/13/13

My belief is that skin is going to firm up, but you CAN firm up the underlying muscles. I have lost over 140 lbs and while I do have saggy inner thighs and saggy upper arms, my belly is not all that bad. In fact, my PCP told me she assumed I had shapewear on and was surprised I did not. :)

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Most Active