No Muscle, where to start

Kathy8429
on 12/21/13 9:59 pm

Since losing weight I've noticed that I have absolutely no muscle tissue in my thighs or glutes.  Or at least no discernible muscle, and mostly thats everywhere.  I have MS and have not started exercising since my surgery, no good excuses.  SO I got a treadmill and some exercise videos.  I need some help on where to focus.  I know I need to increase muscle mass, but I also need aerobic exercise.  Should I start with just aerobic or both?  Thank you so much for any advice.  I have some walking difficulty and balance problems from the MS but the treadmill has hand bars.  Thanks again, Kathy

MacMadame
on 12/23/13 7:25 am - Northern, CA

Actually, you don't necessarily need aerobic. Do it if you like it, but otherwise don't sweat it. When you are starting out, anything you do is so much more than you did before and you'll see benefits right away. So start with what you like to do and build up from there.

Do you like the treadmill or is it the equivalent of Chinese water torture? If you like it, walking or running on it is weight bearing and at first you will get muscles in your lower body from it. At some point, you'll plateau but you can worry about that when it happens.

If you hate the treadmill, then another place to start is with squats and lunges. They will give you an entire lower body workout including your core. They are pretty simple and easy to do. You can Google for instructions for how to do them with good form.

For the upper body, you want to life heavy weights over your head. Thrusters are a way to get upper and lower body together and are another simple exercise.

Once you get some movement into your life and these start to be easy, you can take it to the next level.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Most Active