Before going to the gym...

Lora R.
on 12/15/13 9:18 pm
RNY on 09/12/13

should I drink a protein shake?  Will be going right after work, so it will be before dinner.  Not sure if I should or should not eat/drink something before working out.  I eat lunch at 1230, and will be at the gym about 5.  Thanks for the advice :)

RNY: 9/12/13 HW:  347  SW:  315  CW:  183  BEST THING I EVER DID FOR MYSELF! 

Waterwench
on 12/17/13 1:15 pm - portland, OR

If you are hungry, by all means eat something before going to the gym.

However, your liver normally carries enough glycogen to fuel fairly intense physical activity for about an hour and a half--so unless your workout lasts longer than that, you should be fine. I might take a small snack with you to eat at the gym in case you feel light-headed, but otherwise you should be pretty safe.

"Fall down 7 times--STAND UP 8!"

LJ1972
on 12/18/13 12:46 pm - FL

I usually have a little cottage cheese or yogurt  with some fruit.  You don't need "real food" unless you are going to be hammering for over an hour, generally speaking.

COURAGE TO START, STRENGTH TO ENDURE, RESOLVE TO FINISH 
                              HW 353 SW 317 Original GW 180  Current Wt  170 
                               First 5k 59:18; 5k PR 32:06;  1st 10k 1:20:27; PR 1:08:36
                                                    1st Half Marathon 2:48

Pensacola Double Bridge Run 15k- 1:47:34
                                                  Three Sprint Triathlons

datachick
on 12/21/13 1:55 pm - WA
VSG on 10/26/12

I eat yogurt or a protein shake or cottage cheese&fruit, something small, one hour before my workouts, which are strenuous. When i haven't done that, or hadn't drunk enough water during the day,, I can really tell, but that's just me. Try it out, see how you feel and adjust as needed. Even if i'm not working out, i still eat planned snacks three times a day so am used to a mid-afternoon cheesestick anyhow. 

Also, after working out, i drink a protein drink or take a banana from the training studio. Again, see how you feel and make adjustments.

The worst thing that'll happen is you'll feel tired/weak/grumpy/fussy, so no big deal. Adjust as necessary :)

Good luck! let us know how it goes!

VSG 10/26/12 • HEIGHT 5'4"
GW = 140 lbs met Month 9
CW = 133
lbs
Loss per Month: 8 >  9 > 7 > SURGERY  > 15 > 10 > 10 > 10 > 7 > 5 > 6
  > 6 > 5 > 5 > 0

It works if you work it; it sorta works if you sorta work it; and it doesn't work if you don't work it.

Most Active