Exercise Restrictions

procked
on 12/6/13 11:09 am, edited 12/6/13 11:10 am - Scappoose, OR
VSG on 12/17/13

I am tentatively scheduled for the 17th of December.  At my last visit, I met with the Physical Therapist and she told me I had to limit my exercise for a year??? Is that right?  Seems contra-intuitive for weight loss and to maintain muscle.  Has anyone heard of this??? Does everyone oblige?  I don't want to be a non conformist but I exercise a lot now and I would hate to lose everything I have been working towards.

pamkb
on 12/6/13 11:17 pm - Crestview, FL
One year? ??? Please confirm with her that you understood correctly. And check with your surgeon to see what his guidelines are. There is absolutely NO reason relating to WLS that you would limit exercise for the first year. Most will have you walking with 24 hours, with weight lifting limits the first 4-6 weeks and maybe abdominal focused exercises restricted for 8-10 weeks. Of course these will vary by surgeon and patient.

I am creating my own revolution and PAMdemonium reigns!

RNY 11/16/2010

SW 270, CW 155, GW 135

1st 5k time 40:34 (Dec 2013)

procked
on 12/6/13 11:48 pm - Scappoose, OR
VSG on 12/17/13

I asked twice.  She said Its because you wont be able to get enough calories to offset the exercise and your body will start to eat its muscle.  I will ask during my pre surgery class (Tuesday) but I wanted to get other perspectives.

pamkb
on 12/7/13 12:10 am - Crestview, FL
If you stay up on your protein, it is not an issue. You will also need to up your water intake to avoid chance of dehydration. That is a much bigger concern than caloric needs. Because of caloric restrictions, you may not have the energy to sustain an extended workout; you will tire more quickly. You won't have the energy or stamina to spend hours in the gym for the first few months and may have to break your workout into small segments.

But I found that adding an extra protein shake about an hour before my workout gave me the energy I needed. When it is cleared nutritionally for you, add peanut butter to your shake for extra energizing fat and calories. For me that was about 8 weeks post-op. My favorite pre-workout protein shake is chocolate protein with half a frozen banana and a T of Simply Jiff (reduced sugar) creamy peanut butter blended together. And I have a protein shake shortly after any strength training to aid in muscle repair.

The protein I found that worked best for me right after surgery is one that is promoted to bodybuilders. Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard. It is high quality protein isolates.

Good luck.

I am creating my own revolution and PAMdemonium reigns!

RNY 11/16/2010

SW 270, CW 155, GW 135

1st 5k time 40:34 (Dec 2013)

Most Active