WLS = Always at risk for hernia? Weightlifting?

Trigna
on 12/6/13 9:28 pm
RNY on 11/29/13 with

Hi all. I just had rny surgery. In a month or so, I wanted to start lifting again, like the old days. My husband has a tractor tire he's been flipping around and that looks interesting too. But I just read you must always worry about hernias at the incision sites, even years out. Is weightlifting a no-no, then? Crossfit and things like that too? Can anyone point me to a good place to read more? Thank you.

pamkb
on 12/6/13 11:25 pm - Crestview, FL
Congrats on your surgery & good for you for wanting to address your fitness needs early. Exercise will be key to your success. I don't have any sites to reference but talk to your surgeon to address your concerns. I have not read that we are any more susceptible to hernias than general population once our pouch staple/suture line heals. I lift weights - heavy weights - with no issues or concerns. In addition to RNY, I have also had extensive abdominoplasty so I have many abdominal suture lines. Neither my WL surgeon nor my plastic surgeon has cautioned me about hernias and both encourage abdominal/core strengthening. I don't do CF, not because of WLS but because it is not for me. As with anyone, surgery or not, proper form is the key.

Good luck

I am creating my own revolution and PAMdemonium reigns!

RNY 11/16/2010

SW 270, CW 155, GW 135

1st 5k time 40:34 (Dec 2013)

MacMadame
on 12/7/13 5:34 am - Northern, CA

You should only have lifting restrictions for the first 6 weeks or so.

I had open surgery in 1989 and was split wide open. Then my WLS in 2008 was lap. I do strength training and Crossfit all the time with no issues. As do many WLS peeps. 

Now, if you are in poor health, you are in bad shape and/or obese, you are at higher risk for hernias. But the risk from having surgery is only while you are healing. You can Google hernias and read many, many articles on it and they all say pretty much the same thing.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Kim S.
on 12/16/13 3:22 am - Helena, AL

I've not heard that before....once my initial restrictions were lifted I went on to do weight lifting, boot camp, running...and I've had a lower body lift too-no issues.  Talk to your doctors, and then listen to your body-I hope you enjoy working out and excising as so many of us do!  Find what you love and go for it!!

Most Active