Best shoes?

healthy-rickfan1971
on 12/2/13 11:45 am

I am needing to get some workout shoes. I have tried many of the cheap shoes from like payless and walmart. As you can guess from that statement, money is always tight. But every pair makes my feet hurt, even after sinking extra into buying insoles. SO I decided instead of ending up trying out another 4 pairs in the next year that I cannot stand. I would go ahead and sink the investment of 80 bucks into a decent pair that can ACTUALLY be USED for a year. So any suggestions? I have heard of ASIACS or New Balance, or should I go for Reeboks? I won't be able to sink more than 100 into them total, so I need a good value. I am hoping someone on this board has gone through this and found a good shoe to suggest. I tried looking some up on the net, and frankly the prices scared me worse than those Halloween movie commercials. Who knew they could charge 200 bucks for shoes? OUCH. I know you get what you pay for, but there has to be some kind that is affordable, but comfortable wear.

Jen Lyn
on 12/3/13 4:06 am
RNY on 11/11/13

My foot doc told me new balance would be best but they hurt so I went back to Reebok Princess. I would NOT get the shaper shoes.  The ortho and foot doc says they throw things off and cause problems.

You could always just wear them around the house for awhile then return them if they don't work.

healthy-rickfan1971
on 12/3/13 8:48 am

Thanks for the suggestion. I actually did try those cheapy version of shaper shoes. And they DO cause problems. I ended up not being able to walk without aid of crutches for over a month. They did something to the ligament. The thick sole attracted me more than promise of good glutes. I thought "all that squishy sole must be comfy. I paid dearly, but was quite thankful I was not one that fell and broke bones or permanate damage from them. They truely should carry a warning tag on each pair. I will check out the Reebok ones.

Amy T.
on 12/3/13 10:52 am - Labadieville, LA

Check out the Nike Free Run 5.0.  

I have been through many shoes and these seem to be the most comfortable.  They range from $80 to $100.   They are extremely light.  It is a running shoe so it has lots of support.  I don't run, but I do walk a lot.  They come in many different colors.

healthy-rickfan1971
on 12/3/13 1:48 pm

Thanks, I will look for those as well. I plan to annoy hubby by making him wait so I can try on different ones and walk a bit in them to find the best ones for my feeties. I usually try to get in and out of shopping instead of being the slowpoke woman shopping. But honestly the thought of sinking the bucks into footwear makes me cringe. So I am going to make sure I get the best ones in price range so I can get about to do some  of that moving around that I am itching to do. Have been being tempted to try adding a little bit of running when I walk. And being big still, it is all the more important to get shoes that can be both comfortable and durable as well. The thought of adding a bit of running after 40+ years of being overweight and avoiding exercise, for the most part, if a bit scary. But I thought I would give it a try. Even the small amount being all I can handle especially at first, will be more than is being done now. Who knows, I may even end up liking it. Even if not, a good pair of shoes is needed for walking and stuff.

pamkb
on 12/3/13 11:58 pm - Crestview, FL
I understand about the price but a good shoe is VITAL to overall health, especially if you are thinking about starting to jog a little. What I did at first was went to a running store and they did a gait assessment and decided that I needed to be in a mild stability shoe and I tried several on in the store and made a note which one worked for me. I bit the bullet and bought the first pair from them $110 but now order it online whenever I find it on sale, often times at $20 - $30 off. My favorite shoe is the Brooks Ravenna. I am almost at goal but still in same shoe. I started in the Ravenna 2 and now the model generation is 4 but I love the shoe.

I am creating my own revolution and PAMdemonium reigns!

RNY 11/16/2010

SW 270, CW 155, GW 135

1st 5k time 40:34 (Dec 2013)

healthy-rickfan1971
on 12/4/13 3:16 pm

Thank you. We SO need a like button on the boards.

Gwen M.
on 12/12/13 4:12 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I second Brooks.  I have Brooks Ghosts and love them so much.  I went to a running store in the area to get fitted for them and it was a great experience for me. 

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active