Limited to Excercise

jillb
on 11/21/13 1:25 am

Please Help............

I am do to have the sleeve done Dec 17, 2013 and I am worried about what kind of exercise I will be able to do because of a bad back (pending surgery).  Does anyone have any suggestions for someone who cannot walk more than a couple hundred feet and I cannot stand very long either.  i want to do everything I can to make this a successful weight loss journey but need help with this.   Any suggestions please send them along. I was in the pool until it got to cold out and am considering going to a center to be able to use the pool.

Thanks Jill

MacMadame
on 11/21/13 3:38 am, edited 11/21/13 3:38 am - Northern, CA

Aqua stuff is great! There is aqua aerobics and aqua Zumba. These tend to take place in heated/indoor pools and year-round. Swimming laps can actually be hard on the back though so be careful of that.

If you aren't working with a PT on strengthening your core, I would look into that. You want someone who understands your condition and won't make it worse.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

(deactivated member)
on 11/22/13 11:46 pm
Exercise is very important to improve health and fitness. Go for  walking at least 30 to 45 minutes in a day. Practice push ups, bench press, chair squats, cable stretching and band resistance. It make strong bones and muscles, boost energy, improve physical performance, improve heart functions and mental health and give you fit body.  
Rebecca1966
on 11/26/13 7:45 am - OK
VSG on 11/21/13

Chair Aerobics?  If you google something along the lines of "Exercise for obese people" you might find something that accomodates your inability to walk or stand.

Bibo
on 12/19/13 11:13 pm

I do most, if not all of my exercise in the pool...I use a wheelchair, so most regular aerobic exercise is out. I also use the  circuit weights at the gym.....(a little frustrating to keep transferring in and out of my chair..but..I also have a tricycle, which I rode for a mile yesterday. (non weight bearing).. I just tossed my walker in the basket and tied it with a bungee cord. I do a lot a stretching at home, and do upper body yoga from a chair...I also got one of those foot pedal things that they sell in medical supply places (or amazon), that are designed to put on the floor in front of the couch and pedal, but I put mine on a table and use arm pedaling and got an aerobic workout. There are days that deep cleaning my house is exercise.....!

Most Active