6 weeks out need help

Nikki C.
on 11/18/13 12:27 am

I am 6 weeks Po op VSG and I have only lost 29 lbs please help me out with some things I can do like situps ect.

nlmcb
on 11/20/13 2:08 pm

Hi there,

The best thing you can do right now for exercise is to walk.  That is a great way to burn calories and increase your stamina.  As a Former RNY patient and a certified personal trainer I can attest to the fact that you can walk off many pounds! I walked off 150 lbs 10 years ago. You need to make sure you are walking at least 5 days a week!

You are still in a post op time period and your body is adjusting to the lower calorie intake.  Also your body composition is changing. Walking is the safest exercise.  As you build your endurance you can move on to other workouts, but I do suggest you find a class or have those workouts supervised to make sure you are doing the exercises correctly.  As your body composition changes you need to get used to the shift in weight and keep in mind any knee, hip or back pain which is common for us who have been overweight.

Way to get on the forum and ask for suggestions, sounds like you are dedicated to this new life!

Nancy

Imthatladee
on 12/26/13 9:21 pm - VA

Hi, I'm had my VSG on 16 Dec and I feel like I'm ready to exercise but I have no energy. I'm going to start going to the gym and walk as you have suggested above. How will I know when it is time to step up my exercise program and move on to weights, etc?  I don't want to move to fast but the weight is coming off and I want to tione up as soon as possible!  Thank you.

angryimthatladee

VSG ON 12/16/2013;  HW: 272;  SW: 247;  GW: 170

nlmcb
on 1/16/14 12:28 am

So sorry for the late reply, crazy life!  If you are at a gym I would definitely either seek the advice of a trainer, they will know what you should be doing and when  When starting to work out with weights you really need their guidance.  Improper form and technique can lead to injury which keeps you from working out.  Thus leading to weight gain

Hope that helps!

MacMadame
on 1/16/14 3:03 am - Northern, CA

Sit up don't burn many calories and have a host of other problems. .... Just say NO! :D

You say you've "only" lost 29 pounds. But absolute pounds are meaningless. I 6 weeks post-op VSG, I had lost less and I got to a normal BMI at 6.5 months out. 29 pounds may be an amazing amount of weight loss. Or not. It just depends on how much you have to lose. What percentage of excess weight is 29 pounds? For me, it would have been almost 50%!

To find out use this formula:

Surgery Weight - Weight at BMI 25 = EW

Pounds Lost / EW = % of excess weight loss. Because we lost the most up front, you want get to 50% between months 3 and 6.

As for exercise, there is so much you can do. What do you like to do? How much energy do you have?

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

(deactivated member)
on 1/16/14 10:37 am

Sit up don't burn many calories. Try doing jogging every morning; it’s a good way to start your weight loss journey. I’ve lost 30pounds after my surgery, it’s been a year so for now, my goal is to maintain my weight. Do some exercises like jogging and eating healthy foods.

Most Active