First Full marathon Completed!!

kellybelly333
on 10/21/13 12:15 am - Toronto, Canada

Hello all. Well yesterday was a wonderful day! THe events leading up to it had me worried...a lot.

I have been suffering from IT band issues in my left leg for a month. Three times while I was attempting long runs, my hubby had to come and rescue me, as the pain got so severe, I needed help home. I did physio for weeks, but it wasn`t relieving my really tight band at all. I would feel great, until i got into a run. At first it was 17k in, then 13k, then 5k...It was depressing. I also went to a massage therapist for help. All therapy made me feel better for daily use...but my muscles have great memory and would just go back to tight quicker each time I ran. The knee pain is horrible! 

I then decided to switch from physio to a chiro who does Active Release Technique, as well as acupuncture with electrodes in it. I only got two session in which did well. Friday I dropped by to be taped, and brought him in the shoes that I have been wearing since the summer. His jaw dropped. I have been wearing natural running shoes, as the running store suggested I try them out, (after they videoed my feet, as I ran, they concluded that i`m a neutral runner). Well, the salesperson sold me the wrong shoe. Even though he knew I was marathon training, the shoe I have been wearing is really for sprinting only. I need support, as I pronate while just standing (yet somehow I don`t as much when I run). Anyhow, he said he would never suggest this, but I needed to get new shoes, or I would be damaging myself further. I went back to the running store, wearing the shoes they sold me, and the owner took one look at me and asked what I was doing in that shoe. He was upset when I told my story, and spend an hour and a half with me getting me the `right`` shoe. He also hated me switching at this late in the game.

Anyhow. I wore them Saturday for a 4k run, and they felt good....i mean REALLY good. the difference was huge. I also discovered Traumeel cream, and drops. It`s a homeopath anti-inflamatory that we can take. I think it works.

So, race day. I expected to be walking most of it. My chiro gave me a 25% chance of being able to run it. I took it easy, and felt great...so I kept going. I went at a slower pace than normal, expecting the pain to come at any time. And it didn`t really. Any pain I felt was nothing like before...and it came and went. I barely walked any of the course..just a bit to bring my heart rate down at 36km for about a minute. THe rest was running. And i SPRINTED to the finish line!!! I still can`t believe I did it. My time was 4:31 and change...I did want under 4:30 yesterday (and before I was injured, I was hoping for a 4:00 finish). WIth that said, I`m proud of what I was able to achieve and I will be doing it again next year!!

Next for me...a half iron! :-)

Here are a couple of pics.

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Keith L.
on 10/21/13 12:45 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

That's awesome! Congrats!

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

kellybelly333
on 10/21/13 2:55 am - Toronto, Canada

Thanks!

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Sam LifeNerd
on 10/21/13 12:46 am

CONGRATS!!!!  Glad you found a shoe at the last minute that helped you.  Amazing speed too, you are well ahead of my best thoughts at this point.  (5:15 if I can do 12ish min miles)

Now go update that signature with the newest new info!!  :)

Sam

kellybelly333
on 10/21/13 3:15 am - Toronto, Canada

Good call. Signature added!

MacMadame
on 10/21/13 4:50 am - Northern, CA

Congrats!

I am a big fan of ART, myself. It's helped me a lot with my calf issues.

I'm also a bit leery of the current fad of natural running shoes and minimalistic shoes. I think they have some merits but some people act like they are the answer to everything and they aren't. I do use a neutral shoe but it not a minimalistic one. I am thinking of going down with the padding and support but, if I do, I'll go down gradually and be really careful about it.

I'm also looking into the new Cloudrunner technology as I think it has promise. I want to try it out and see what I think.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

kellybelly333
on 10/21/13 5:53 am - Toronto, Canada

Thanks. I went from a lot of support to basically none. Very bad idea, I now know. They felt awesome, and I had no idea they would be doing damage to me. Lesson learned. My new shoes are wonderful. Just the right amount of support. I may drop down after the next pair, but I need to be fully healed first. I won't be running for a bit now anyway.

billmacc7
on 10/21/13 6:00 am - MA

AWESOME...so inspired by your efforts, thanks for posting I needed it today!

On to the next challenge right!!!

Yours in WLS Journey,

Bill Mac

kellybelly333
on 10/21/13 6:15 am - Toronto, Canada

THank you. I'm glad I inspired you....hope all is well!

nfarris79
on 10/21/13 6:12 am - Germantown, MD

OMG!!! You look awesome!!! And what a finishing time, I'm in awe!! Thank goodness you found relief and it didn't deter you - I've heard it said that if your body is sending pain, it's trying to communicate something. It'd be lovely if some day we could just hop into a body scan and it'd tell us exactly what we need to wear/eat/train.....

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

Most Active