Best Workouts to Prevent Loose Skin?

Huggysaurus
on 10/16/13 12:46 am

Hi, All!

I am really a big fan of Jillian Michaels and Joyce Vedral's workout videos, but I'm looking other ideas of what I can do to prevent loose skin. I haven't had my surgery yet, but I want to get a jump-start on my fitness routine! 

My routine right now looks like this:

Everyday: Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred (alternating levels every two days), plus Joyce Vedral weight training video for 30 minutes (alternating upper and lower body every other day but always do abs), 45 minutes of walking with hand weights.

Three times per week: HIIT sprints for 20 minutes

Occasionally I'll switch out the 30DS for No More Trouble Zones or Burn Fat Boost Metabolism. 

Any other suggestions? Can't afford a gym membership and like to workout at home. Since the weather here has turned cooler I'll also be adding in some day hikes in the mountains when I can. 

Thanks!!! :)

MacMadame
on 10/16/13 3:05 pm - Northern, CA

You can't prevent loose skin via exercise. Exercise works your muscles primarily. Even the cardiovascular system has the heart -- which is a muscle --  at its core.

Skin is actually an organ. So think of it this way... there is no exercise that shrinks your kidneys, which are also organs. I find thinking of it that way helps me understand what exercise does and does not do. mail

You prevent loose skin via age (being young), genetics, and good hydration (drinking lots of water and using skin cream). You can also fill in the loose skin with muscles. This helps it look better and sit up on your skeleton better. Otherwise, you cross your fingers and, if it's really bad, you get plastic surgery.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Tracy D.
on 10/19/13 8:01 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13
This is a really clear explanation! I'll remember this, thanks!

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active