Knee pain after running not during...is that normal?

PetHairMagnet
on 10/17/13 11:32 pm, edited 10/17/13 11:33 pm
RNY on 05/13/13
I run a 5k (well, 2.9 miles running, the rest walking to start and cool down) every other day. I do not have any knee pain while running, but I have pain about 30-40 minutes later and it last several hours. I took a pain pill a few nights ago because the pain was keeping me from falling asleep. It doesn't bother me most of the time or on non-running days, but for at least 4 hours after running the pain is present. <br />
<br />
Strange, normal?<br />
Anything you suggest to thwart this post-run pain? I want to start training for a 10K in Feb and then a 1/2 marathon next Aug, but worry my pain will grow if I do nothing. <br />
<br />
And yes, I do have shoes fitted for my gait and replace them every 350 miles and I swap shoes every other run as well.

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Sam LifeNerd
on 10/18/13 12:36 am

Where on your knee?  If on the outside of the knee then you prob have the same issue as me, IT Band.  Basically it is the tendon running from hip to outside of knee.

What is happening for me now is that AFTER my run, when I get in the car and drive to work 30 minutes, that gives it time to tighten up and start hurting!!

So, IF, this is on the outside of your knee start googling IT Band.  Lots of good exercises and videos.  Rolling on a foam roller also helps mine a LOT!  Relaxes the muscles around it and then my PT showed me where to target the top of the IT band where it connects back in.  Front pocker area, and rear pocket area.  

I use an inflatable ball on that pressure point, and lay on it for 5 minutes each.

PetHairMagnet
on 10/18/13 7:43 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On October 18, 2013 at 7:36 AM Pacific Time, Sam LifeNerd wrote:

Where on your knee?  If on the outside of the knee then you prob have the same issue as me, IT Band.  Basically it is the tendon running from hip to outside of knee.

What is happening for me now is that AFTER my run, when I get in the car and drive to work 30 minutes, that gives it time to tighten up and start hurting!!

So, IF, this is on the outside of your knee start googling IT Band.  Lots of good exercises and videos.  Rolling on a foam roller also helps mine a LOT!  Relaxes the muscles around it and then my PT showed me where to target the top of the IT band where it connects back in.  Front pocker area, and rear pocket area.  

I use an inflatable ball on that pressure point, and lay on it for 5 minutes each.

Oh, very interesting! I actually take a foam roller class once a week when I am at our lake house, but I have been at the other house the past two weeks (and again for another week and a half) due to my husband having some orthopedic surgery and needing to be in the office and the commute is far easier from the city house. Oddly, the pain has been happening since not taking my roller class. I will have to do a private session and learn the techniques for home. THANKS!! :)

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Most Active