Hiring a Personal Trainer

haleandhardy
on 10/4/13 1:11 pm

Hi:  I've been working out but I don't seem to be getting the same benefits that I used to get.  I'm thinking of hiring a personal trainer and would appreciate any comments/ suggestions on what to look for.  Also, what is the going rate for a qualified trainer?

Thx

LJ1972
on 10/5/13 9:55 am - FL

I love love love my trainer and the workouts she gives me. I have trained with her since July '11, one month before my surgery.  I think it probably depends on your location etc on how much a Trainer is... make sure you get references though, there are some nuts, and some who think because they work at a gym they are trainers.

You have to have that "click" with a trainer, in my opinion. My trainer knows when I am really calling "uncle" and when I am needing her to push me harder (I am very honest with her though).  I train so much harder when she is there pushing and encouraging, or if I know it is "homework" from her (ie my half marathon training)

COURAGE TO START, STRENGTH TO ENDURE, RESOLVE TO FINISH 
                              HW 353 SW 317 Original GW 180  Current Wt  170 
                               First 5k 59:18; 5k PR 32:06;  1st 10k 1:20:27; PR 1:08:36
                                                    1st Half Marathon 2:48

Pensacola Double Bridge Run 15k- 1:47:34
                                                  Three Sprint Triathlons

haleandhardy
on 10/6/13 4:08 am

I do have a person in mind, she has other clients at my gym and I think we'll work well together.  I'm also training for a half marathon but its not till next year, I'm giving myself a lot of time to build up to it.  

Cheers

nlmcb
on 10/13/13 6:00 pm

Hi there,

as a personal trainer myself my best advice to make sure they are a Certified Personal Trainer.  Some people who are fit feel as though they have he knowledge to train people, but that is not all it takes.  The. From there you definitely want to have a report them and make sure they are a good fit! 

You will find the right person but know it is always good to shop around.  Most trainers will give you a free consultation so yin can see if what they have to offer is what you are looking for.

A reputable trainer will charge anywhere from $40-$60 an hour.  I am very Leary of trainers that charge less than $30 an hour.

good luck!

Most Active