Have you done the C25K program?

PetHairMagnet
on 9/1/13 9:58 am
RNY on 05/13/13

I am doing week one, day two tomorrow. I really, really wanted to do it today, but is says every other day, so I waited. Any tips you can give me if you have successfully completed the program?

For instrance....

Did you always go in the exact, prescribed order or did you sometimes 'do over' some of the days until you felt you were faster/better?

Did you always do the break in between each day or do them back to back?

How did you know when it was time to replace yours shoes?

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

MoLawEd
on 9/1/13 10:15 pm - Cambridge, MA

I actually just finished it last Friday! I'm moving on to the Bridge to 10K program starting tomorrow.

As background, I've tried C25K a few times over the years but only just now finished it. My previous attempts were without the app (well, before the app) and I always found it cumbersome. Back in 2005, I worked my way up to running a mile, but started grad school and then left my running and eating well behind (this was pre-op). I started it again once post-op but like the last time, didn't get very far. This time with the app made a big difference.

I always went in the order of the program, not much more and not less. I go very slowly, so I didn't encounter any injuries or pains or really exert myself more than I could handle. Sometimes I probably went too slowly. If I'd needed to redo a day, I would have, but I just didn't need to. No shame in taking longer than the allotted number of weeks to complete. I refused to jump ahead even if I felt like I could because I wanted to avoid injuries. One of the things that can be dangerous about running is that cardiovascular fitness may increase before the body tissues' endurance does. This leads to injury, because our heart and lungs can handle more but our body tissues might not be able to. The point of the slow growth in C25K is to prepare the body tissues to be able to handle the physical pressure of running.

I thought about redoing some days to increase speed. Then I thought back to other physical activities I've done, like the elliptical or even yoga. What helped me increase speed or flexibility in those instances wasn't focusing on speed or flexibility, but just keeping at it and as my fitness increased, the speed and flexibility increased too. Now, this may not be right for everyone, but personally I plan to just keep running and hope that my speed will naturally increase as my fitness for running increases. I may focus on speed drills at some point, but for now I just want to focus on endurance. Personal choice, though.

During the first 5 weeks or so, I'd sometimes do runs back to back. The interval runs were pretty easy for me. When things got "real" around Week 5 Day 3 with the full 20-minute run, I stopped doing this because I was worried about overstressing my ankle and other joints. I wanted to give them time to recover and strengthen. ALSO, I've been reading about running shoes lately and learned that it's very important to give running shoes at least a 24-hour break between use, if not more, to get their full cushioning support. Whatever material they use gets compressed during use and needs to re-plump or something. This is especially true for us heavier runners because we put more pressure on that material. So, if you do choose to run daily, make sure to rotate between 2 pairs of running shoes.

On shoes: I researched this and researched this. Actually just invested in two new pairs of running shoes yesterday (I'm going to start rotating them). Mine were probably past the point. So, I realized I absolutely had to buy a new pair because the treads were getting pretty worn down and because they simply felt and looked flatter in the bottom cushioning; it is a little creased. They still feel OK, but not great. I have been noticing more pain in my ankle, but I couldn't tell whether that was because of the shoes or because I was running for longer distances - still not sure about that. The general guideline is to replace after 300/350 to 500/550 miles--assuming you ONLY use them for running--and heavier runners should replace closer to that 300/350 mark. The shoes I replaced yesterday I'd only had since May 25! I may still wear them casually, but not for running. I can tell a huge difference in the cushioning between the brand new shows and the 3-month-old ones.

Hope this helps! Congrats on starting C25K!

Having RNY was probably the best thing I've ever done for myself.

Approx highest weight: ~350. Highest measured weight: 338. Surgery weight: 297. Lowest weight (for 5 minutes): 169. Current weight: 209. Goal weight: ??? - maybe 180-185, which was my maintenance weight before the regain.

PetHairMagnet
on 9/1/13 11:58 pm
RNY on 05/13/13

THANK YOU!! That was REALLY helpful information! And it is funny, when I was out today, I was tempted to do more, but did not. I could tell a difference from the first day, because I run in a cemetery and I know how far I was getting and today I hit a whole new section than just Saturday! 

I have the two pair to rotate and I only use them for running and on the elliptical machine. I think I'll order a third pair, as my first pair are from earlier this year and feel different than my newer ones. 

CONGRATS on moving to the 10K program!!!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

MacMadame
on 9/2/13 6:55 am - Northern, CA

I never ran two days in a row. All fitness gains happen at rest. You need the breaks in between for your body to repair itself.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

PetHairMagnet
on 9/2/13 10:49 am
RNY on 05/13/13

Thanks, that helps! :) 

MacMadame
on 9/2/13 6:57 am - Northern, CA

I repeated weeks or days if I had to. It took me 12 weeks to get through the whole program.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Day_dream_believer
on 9/3/13 2:33 am

I did it several years ago.  I didn't repeat weeks early on, but towards the end I would often repeat a week.  I was only starting to get into shape when I started so I feel like I really needed that extra week.  

I always took the break in between each day.  Even now I alternate running with another non weight bearing  form of cardio.  It is usually a rowing class or spinning class.  

Most Active