2 Months Out and Looking To Start Lifting Weights - Need Help

nagash5780
on 8/26/13 2:30 am

Hello. I am a 33 year old male and had Gastric Sleeve surgery on June 17th. I have been using an exercise bike 3 -4 times a week for cardio exercise since I have been cleared for exercise by my dr. I would like to start lifting weights to help in my weight loss and for general fitness. I have never lifted before and I do not belong to a gym. I do have access to a weight bench, barbells and dumb bells. I am having a hard time finding information on the TYPES of exercises I should do with free weights for weight loss. I plan to do this twice a week while doing cardio on the bike 3 times a week. Can anyone offer any links to lifting routines I should be doing? Did anyone else (particularly males) went this route with their post-surgery exercise routine? 

theladyelsie
on 8/28/13 7:49 am
VSG on 08/06/13

Starting weight lifting is an awesome experience.  I love lifting weights and I feel like it has the potential to help people so much.

Just starting out I think starting out with a full body workout twice a week (evenly spaced apart, remember when you lift weights you need time to recover and the recovery is super important to actually making gains).  Spark people has a generator I believe where you can type it what kind of equipment you have access to and it helps set something up for you.  Bodybuilding.com has premade routines too for beginners I believe.  Having dumbbells, barbells and a bench is a great start, especially for upper body work.  

Links:http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/fitness_plan_generator.a sp

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbinfo.php?page=BeginnerWork outPrograms

It would do good to read a lot about weightlifting.  Form is everything.  It will make your workouts more efficient and also help prevent you from getting injured.  Also to know a little about the science behind muscle building and why you're working out is helpful, too.  When you do find a routine you may not know what size weights to use.  Different muscle groups are going to require different size weights.  So what I like to do is after you spend the first workout figuring everything out, write down what you did the last time so you know where to start from and also that allows you to see your gains.  The weight you want to use is basically the highest weight you can use that will allow you to do all the repetitions that you need to do.  If you can do 50 reps using 10 lbs that's great but  if you only need to do 12 for the set you need to pick up a heavier weight so the 12 you are doing are not super easy.  

Any other questions I'd be happy to help.  I'm not a guy so some might have better advice but I'm a girl that loves to lift and I love to encourage others to seek out lifting to because it really is something I think that helps you in so many ways physically and mentally.   Happy lifting!

datachick
on 8/29/13 3:04 am - WA
VSG on 10/26/12

I have a trainer guiding me, but also have bought the "Womens Health Big Book of Exercises" which a friend of mine had, and which I discovered is pretty much everything my trainer has had me doing. So I know I can use this book to continue without my trainer some day. It's excellent, explains lots of stuff, pictures and directions are clear and easy. I'm sure there's a "Men's Health" version since it's the same publisher as the magazines. There are progressions, like starting at a basic level then progressing to harder things. Explains when to up your weight, lots of things about exercising to maximize your benefit. Technique explanations are excellent. Try it, or something like it, out. Good luck!

VSG 10/26/12 • HEIGHT 5'4"
GW = 140 lbs met Month 9
CW = 133
lbs
Loss per Month: 8 >  9 > 7 > SURGERY  > 15 > 10 > 10 > 10 > 7 > 5 > 6
  > 6 > 5 > 5 > 0

It works if you work it; it sorta works if you sorta work it; and it doesn't work if you don't work it.

Most Active