Marathoners: eating question

nfarris79
on 8/20/13 12:17 am - Germantown, MD

I've got the mid-run nutrition & recovery stuff down pat but I'm noticing a change with higher mileage: I used to get the "rungries" on days after long runs but now that we've hit 18+ miles on our long run days, I'm just not interested in food until SEVERAL hours after running. And then it hits me on rest day (like Monday): MUST HAVE CARBS!!! I'm not eating crap (doritos, chocolate, etc), just wanting fruit, whole wheat/flax/oatbran pitas. Did this happen to you? I'm struggling with the divided mind - RNY/scale vs marathoner diet. Which should win out? Should I throw out my scale until after Marine Corps and just listen to my body?

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

(deactivated member)
on 8/20/13 1:21 am

Ok, I hesitated to respond to this because at 155 pounds on a good day, I am not exactly the poster child for perfect RNY success nor am I the picture of a marathoner-to-be. Yep, I am healthy and happy and active but am still solidly in the overweight range. I feel like a baby elephant tromping along most running days. The guy at my local running store even had the balls to tell me that no, I wasn't crazy, that my shoes were in fact breaking down faster than "average" and did so because I am "heavy."

Anyway, at this point, looking at my 2-year anniversary coming up, I eat pretty much like the rest of my family and the rest of the population. I do all the cooking and as a whole we eat pretty well. There's always room for improvement and I've toyed with the idea of cutting out grains for both continued weight loss and some bloat/digestive issues but haven't done it yet and realistically don't see it being something that my family and I could stick with long-term so why bother?

I eat how my body wants me to eat on long run days and the day after. I still have good restriction and my tastes have definitely changed so that I typically crave healthy foods. Like you,  I'm usually shut down for a few hours as well but after my shower and nap, the hungry beast is inside of me. I think I ate three servings of yogurt on Saturday and (about half a fresh pineapple too!) 

I hope somebody smarter than me replies, I am interested in what everyone has to say!

KittenLove
on 8/21/13 8:53 am - Around Knoxville, TN
Ditch the RNY stuff for marathon training i tried to adhere the first full i did.. Not good. Focus on quality carbs (which u are!! ) and more calories overall.

Go you

Be happy. 

kellybelly333
on 9/4/13 12:09 am - Toronto, Canada

I just posted pretty much the same question. How does it not become a slippery slope into too many carbs for not training periods.

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Most Active