I could use some help!

Findingme2013
on 8/19/13 2:19 am
RNY on 02/04/13

I'm training for a half marathon!  I find myself running out of energy and not able to up my pace.  I think it;s due to me taking in so few calories.  I get in 800-1000 a day.  I'm only a little over 6 months out.  Thanks for any advice you have to offer.

Thank you!!
Sheryl

LJ1972
on 8/19/13 11:08 am - FL

Congrats on taking on your training! WOOT!!

Personally, I would say at this time the important thing is to concentrate on learning the new healthy eating lifestyle. Keep training, but back it down to a level where you can go on 1000-1200 calories.  Of course, the first person to check with is your dietitian, nutritionist or surgeon

COURAGE TO START, STRENGTH TO ENDURE, RESOLVE TO FINISH 
                              HW 353 SW 317 Original GW 180  Current Wt  170 
                               First 5k 59:18; 5k PR 32:06;  1st 10k 1:20:27; PR 1:08:36
                                                    1st Half Marathon 2:48

Pensacola Double Bridge Run 15k- 1:47:34
                                                  Three Sprint Triathlons

MacMadame
on 8/19/13 3:29 pm, edited 8/19/13 3:30 pm - Northern, CA

I trained for a triathlon on less than that. I don't think it's the calories per se. I think it's managing your input and eating the right macronutrients at the right times.

During the WL phase, I would eat as little as possible and still keep up your energy levels but I would make sure to eat as much protein as possible. While doing that sort of training, a good rule of thumb is to eat 1 g of protein for every pound of lean body mass. To make it easy, go for 1 g per pound of goal weight. 

Then, before you exercise have a small snack of 100-200 calories that is carb-based. Maybe some carrots or a banana. But you can also have a small protein shake. It doesn't have to be ALL carbs. The idea is to top off your glycogen stores.

How soon you consume it before your workout will depend on your ability to eat and then workout. I'd do it as soon as 30 minutes before and be fine but some people can't eat that soon before working out and not get stomach troubles.

Then, after the workout, you want to have a recovery snack. Ideally, it should be 3:1 carbs to protein and about 100 to 200 calories and you want to consume it 15 to 45 min after your workout ends.

During the workout, you want to just have water if your workout is 60 minutes or less because you want to train your body to consume fat during your race and you can't do that if you consume calories during your run. But for longer runs, you want to take along a little something to get you through the workout. I like cookies! But most people are more into gels or sports beans or sports drinks.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Paul C.
on 8/26/13 5:21 am - Cumming, GA

The source of your energy can really depend on your effort level.  You will want to train at a more mid level to promote Fat Oxidation  this does not mean you are burning more calories but rather that your body is utilizing your fat stores for energy rather than glycogen stores.  The Higher the intensity the the more your body will utilize carb and glycogen stores and when they are not available your body will then go for protein, this is happening if you smell like ammonia.

Typically at a good good mid point intensity you should have 2-3 hours of Fuel.  Gels and such can be tricky and may cause GI issues.  if you are looking for an easily digestible product you may want to look at Generation UCan.  Personally I would avoid solid foods as they cause issues with me.

Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
Findingme2013
on 8/26/13 7:58 am
RNY on 02/04/13

Thank you so much for your help!!!

Most Active