could use a little help with food and big endurance activites

Louise1974
on 8/13/13 11:29 am

Sorry this is so long!!

Hi all!  I rarely post over here but I check in now and then and really appreciate all of you!  I have been doing lots of hiking and am working hard to get half of the Adirondack 46 high peaks hiked by the end of next month.  That will be a lot of hiking!  I am 11 months out, down 100 pounds, probably just a few pounds from goal (I don't really have one, I just decided to stop where I landed and it seems to be slowing down).  So far, I have been doing 8-12 hour hikes with lots of elevation gain.  Occasionally I wear a heart rate monitor and I tend to stay right around 155 most of the way to the summit  with plenty of peaks to 170+ during the steep stretches.  on the way down I usually stay at around 130-150.  I am learning how to trail run the steep trails!   I am just beginning to do the longer hikes which will be closer to 14 hours and I am also beginning to do back to back days of that kind of hiking.  Thus far I haven't done much different with food the day before, I just eat my regular stuff.  the day of the hike I do a protein shake in the car on the way and eat maybe 2 or 3 times during the day, usually nuts with dried fruit or a cliff builder bar (figure the extra carbs will help me).  It totals maybe 1 cliff builder bar (I think 390 calories or something like that with 20 grams of protein) and then two big handfuls of nuts with dried fruits.  Then i get some dinner when I am done and I am still figuring out what to eat after these hikes, no idea really.  I crave burgers and fries because that is what I always ate after hikes pre surgery.  So I am still figuring that out.  After the last one I had a cup of bean soup, 1/2 a burger, and a few fries, maybe 7 or so.

I have done pretty well on the hikes so far, no bonking.  It is a little concerning to me though that I am eating so little.  I have figured that as long as I feel okay it is probably fine.  Especially weird since on sedentary days I need way more food than that, but when I hike I just get in this zone and off I go.  I stay well hydrated, averaging about 140 ounces of water. 

so here are my questions:

Is there anything I should be doing on the day before the hikes in terms of food?  Should I eat a few more carbs?  Is that necessary for me?

How about food during the hike?  I probably could eat more I am just not all that interested but could certainly  ensure more caloric intake.

Any recommendations for food after the hike?

And if I am doing back to back days like this, or three in a row should I adjust anything?

I had the RNY and here is a sample of my food intake for today (pre hike day):

protein shake (30 grams)

1/4 cup roasted edamame, slice cheese, six cherry tomatoes

1 cup pinto beans

1/4 cup roasted edamame, slice cheese, six cherry tomatoes (snacks are a little monotonous today!)

big salad with lettuce, tomatoe, 2 ounces of cheese, and vinaigrette

Thank you sooooo much for any imput!!

nfarris79
on 8/14/13 5:58 am - Germantown, MD

Hopefully others who hike or do other endurance sports will chime in, but I feel ya on the day-after hunger! Usually on days after my long runs, I'd find myself hungrier than the day of! To balance that, I changed how I eat the day before (upping the carbs & calories just a tiny bit) and how I replenish during runs (GU or Chomps) and that helped me not go overboard on my rest day....

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

Most Active