Some direction...

rickgpgh
on 7/19/13 2:18 am - Pittsburgh, PA
RNY on 04/09/13

Had my surgery back in April.  Some complications required an extra week in the hospital. As a result I was hesitant to jump into an exercise plan.  The first month was painful just to get around and get back on my feet.  Fast forward and now for the last month have been hitting the cardio in the gym daily.   I ride 10 miles daily on the recumbent bike and then walk/job 3 miles on the treadmill.

Got in the pool and realized how week my upper body is.  I have not lifted weights since College and honestly don't feel comfortable just "learning" as I go.  It's kind of embarrassing.   I know its psychological.  I should just go into the weight room at the gym and figure out a routine.  I am trying to hire a personal trainer and I am being a little picky.  I really want someone who has some experience with WLS patients.   Maybe I will have to settle for someone who does not have WLS experience.  Is there anyone from Pittsburgh who can recommend a personal trainer?  

Regardless can anyone direct me to a website and or give me some advice on the best 4-6 exercises I should start with.  I really want to start lifting weights.   It's getting harder and harder to get my heart rate high enough to were I am burning the most calories.

Thanks in advance for any feedback or advice.   

mkvand
on 7/20/13 3:48 pm
VSG on 01/06/14 with

I'm no expert, but I'll reply anyway since no one else has.  If you're an inexperienced lifter, you're better off using the machines.  They don't give as full a range of motion, but they provide more control over your form, so they're safer for beginners.  Here's a link to a beginner's work out with videos showing how to perform the exercises. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/beginner_weight_training.htm

MacMadame
on 7/20/13 7:17 pm - Northern, CA

Actually, it's a myth that they're safer. You can misuse the machines and have poor form and injure yourself just as easily as with free weights.

I would "settle" for someone who knows their stuff when it comes to weight lifting rather than someone who has experience with WLS. It's more important that they understand the exercises. Most trainers give really bad advice about nutrition anyway so get that from your surgeon.  Have you looked into CrossFit? That kind of functional fitness is going to get you to your goals a lot faster than most of what goes on in gyms.

"It's getting harder and harder to get my heart rate high enough to were I am burning the most calories."

HIIT! It burns the most calories and the most fat anyway. Google it. mail

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 7/23/13 1:05 am
VSG on 12/06/12

I have a great app on my phone called jefit. It lets you customize a routine and has thousands of exercises for each body part. You get to see a little gif of someone doing the exercise so you know the best form. It works great for me.

Most Active