Questions about exercise...

Julie G.
on 7/12/13 9:28 pm - Lebanon, TN

Hi Everyone,

I had my surgery in August of 2004.  Lost then gained back all my weight plus some.  I am over 500 pounds right now and I am getting back on track to losing.  I know I need to exercise, but I have a very hard time standing to even walk, and lose my balance quite frequently right now.

I ordered a fitness DVD...Richard Simmons Sit Tight to try.  Has anyone used this and how was it?  I am also considering ordering a DVD from Chair-A-Cise.  Has anyone tried this one?  Both of these fitness DVDs are for you to use while sitting in a chair...which I figured would be easy enough for me until I could do more.  Do you know of any others I might could try?

I'm doing better about not drinking when I eat now.  Also cutting back on how much I eat and eating more protein.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Julie 

PetHairMagnet
on 7/13/13 9:31 am
RNY on 05/13/13

At your weight, I would think you would want to make sure your doctor agrees that whatever exercise plan you choose, it is appropriate for you.

Good luck to you!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Keith L.
on 7/15/13 11:13 pm - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

I will be blunt. Stop looking for something to buy. Most of it is gimicky and my work for someone, but probably not for most. Those guys are out to make a buck and if you want to contribute to their exploitative endeavors that's great, but here is the simple reality:

You need to move.

You need to do 2 simple things. Sit down/Stand up. Do it as much as you can. At your weight this is one of the best strength increasing exercises you can do. Using just your body weight get a chair (or you couch is even better and just get up, sit back down. As soon as you sit down, stand back up. Do this during commercials, do it as reps, etc. Do as many as you can. Start out slow and work your way up.

You need to Walk. Start with 5 - 15 mins and work your way up to 30 - 60. You will burn fat like crazy with just these two things. You get dizzy because you body weight is disproportionate, get busy working it off. Use getting dizzy as a motivator. You will get over it. Obviously when you get dizzy stop for a second, but DONT QUIT!

You have your body weight on your side. There are no two better exercises at your weight for losing fat.

All that being said, nutrition is 80% of the battle, the exercise is only 20%. Here in lies the problem. You had surgery and couldn't stick to the plan. Spend some time on figuring out why, see a therapist, figure out why you couldn't stick to this even with a reduced stomach capacity. You have to get your head right first. You have to mentally commit to this process and keep in mind it is not a sprint, it is a marathon that will last for the rest of your life. But at the end of the day, it is all up to YOU!

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

PrincessBelle
on 7/21/13 12:13 am

I used the Sit & Be Fit DVDs for awhile. Fine for stretching & getting moving toward aerobic exercise, but not aerobic. My doctors recommend, and I've read online, that non-weight bearing exercise is best for the very overweight. I now do the recumbent bike every day so my joints aren't overly stressed. I still can't walk on the treadmill more than 10 minutes but I'm working toward an hour on the recumbent bike. My Y also has a seated elliptical that I'm starting to use. They've been quite helpful & supportive. 

RNY 3/11/13. 

Most Active