Running a Marathon after RNY

MacMadame
on 7/17/13 8:07 am - Northern, CA

Once our stomach heals, it's as strong as it was before surgery.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Paul C.
on 7/17/13 12:09 am - Cumming, GA

The only reasons I could see that a Doctor believing it is not possible for these types of events as a post op would be in the nutrition area.

So may push the UBER High protein minimal carb diet which is not ideal when it comes to endurance events.  Along with the day-to-day nutrition of training you have to take in nutrition while on the long runs/bikes and these are typically in the form of energy gels, which everyone believes will make them dump.

Well we all know the reality is that not everyone dumps and not all sugar sources will cause a person to dump.  The change in the diet is the biggest concern among the professionals because you are varying from their protocol.  The second concern is the Hydration aspect.  If someone has difficulty getting in the minimum hydration requirements and are not aware of their needs then it can be real bad 8 miles into a hot run.  I know number of non post-ops who have suffered dehydration at a race and had problems.  I know for me after my Half Ironman last year it took me about a week to get my hydration back to normal.  I think I was almost 1.5 day with no peeing.

Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
MacMadame
on 7/17/13 8:05 am - Northern, CA

The only reason I can see is ignorance...  Just because someone's a doctor doesn't mean they know everything about everything. And a LOT of people don't know squat about training for endurance events.

I've done two Ironmans and I never had any issue with nutrition or hydration. I can drink water just as fast as I could pre-op though it took me a year to get to that point. But I was doing triathlons within 6 months of my surgery. I just drank smaller amounts more often.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Carol S.
on 7/22/13 11:04 pm - Milwaukee, WI

I run, and I run a lot.  

I did a Marathon about two months ago.  I didn't even ask my WLS surgeon.  I had ovarian surgery a week earlier and the OB who did it said go right ahead!  I came in under 5 hours which was my goal.

Carol

SW/276 CW 150 GW 185

9 Years out.

kellybelly333
on 7/23/13 12:01 am - Toronto, Canada

Wow!! I just had my gall bladder removed last Thursday, couldn't imaging running so fast after!! 

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Carol S.
on 7/23/13 4:04 am - Milwaukee, WI

I had trained hard before the surgery though and was told by the Dr. (also a runner) that I should go right ahead.  Just as a note, they used that new surgical procedure with the da Vinci (robot) so it was much less invasive than traditional surgeries.

Carol

SW/276 CW 150 GW 185

9 Years out.

kellybelly333
on 7/23/13 8:33 am - Toronto, Canada
Oh nice!! It's funny I had my RNY (march 2011)and a TT (Jan 28/2013) and having my gall bladder out has been the worst of the three as far as pain and tiredness goes. I have been training hard as well (did a half marathon at the end of may, time 2:21) an have continued with full marathon training since. And this surgery had kicked me in the bum!! I have to take two weeks off running, so next Thursday ill be back. Glad everyone had positive results from training and doing marathons. I am doing it and can't wait!!

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Most Active