Exercise and calorie intake

amyred27
on 6/29/13 1:11 pm

I am three months post op from RNY. I started at 241 and 203. I have started exercising about a month ago and assumed that the weight would just be coming off faster.  This month I lost about 4 lbs. I wrote a previous post on another board and they suggested my calorie consumption may not be appropriate for my activity level.  I am eating around 1000 calories a day (my plan wants me up to 1200) and for activity I have been average 50 minutes on the ellipitical and then I try to go for an hour walk in the evening (at least 5 times a day)

Does anybody have any comments about this?

nfarris79
on 6/30/13 3:09 am - Germantown, MD

First thought is give things time! Your body will lose at the rate it wants to. Stick to your plan, keep the focus on health, and don't compare to "others" or "shoulds". Second, have you talked with your NUT about calories and adjusting for exercise? That is one opinion that would rank above all others on the forums.... It is possible and often reported that underconsuming calories can stagnate weight loss because your body thinks the next Great Plague is coming - - that may be why others have suggested upping your calories. Sometimes it's useful to up by a little and see how the change affects your weight loss, but if the scale heads the wrong way for several weeks....

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

chrispy_man
on 6/30/13 10:46 am - Mystic, CT
RNY on 09/21/10 with
I think we have to remember that these are our own individual journeys. 100% agree you need to talk to your NUT. I know in my case the 1200 maintenance diet did not come into the picture until I was to reach goal ( which I never did). I think many times we misinterpret the plan and need to get advice along the way. In my case I thought I was supposed to increase calorie intake and stopped losing. Seems obvious right lol? Now I believe that we all have to find our own sweet spot on calories. That amount, which changes over time btw, where we maintain. As an example I went back to discuss weight loss with my NUT at 2-1/2 years post op and I am currently targeting 800 calories per day under the proscribed meal plan and Dr supervision. I'm not saying that is right for everyone but it is what I needed to do to begin losing. In fact when I went to see the NUT she reviewed my food log and had me cut protein, replacing it with veggies and fruit for a more balanced nutrition. Again along the way I picked up from others that I "needed" 100 grams of protein each day. Again the number I threw out are my numbers not yours, I'm using them as an example of how different things can be for people after WLS. Also btw my wife is on the exact same plan to maintain her loss, she is at goal.

Chrispy

HW 440, SW 386, CW 229.8

amyred27
on 6/30/13 1:38 pm

I appreciate your responses. I forget that ...we are all different and what works for others may or may not work for everybody. Thanks for your input!

(deactivated member)
on 7/1/13 1:50 am

I have read you post and found it really nice and helpful to stay healthy. According to me if you want to stay healthy then must follow this way. Always try to getup early in the morning and go for some exercise. With that must follow a diet plan.

ChipPaulson
on 7/2/13 3:18 am

1500-2000 is a good range for a decently active individual.

``If you`re going through hell, keep going``

Winston Churchill

Weight loss plan reviews: http://choppysreviews.com/

Most Active