Question: just increased intensity and REALLY tired

A. Kondrlik
on 6/3/13 8:20 am
VSG on 01/24/13

I am 4 mos out.  In the last 2 weeks I have increased the intensity of my workouts.  I am pretty wimpy so some would not think my intensity is very hard, but I am burning 300 or more calories a session. I have been really tired in the afternoons,  i exercise from 6 to 7 am at the gym, do treadmill, elliptical and alternate upper and lower body weight training.

I eat from 900 to 1000 calories a day, get 70 or 80 plus protein and usually 60 to 75 Gm carbs.  I know there are differing opinions about calorie levels and carb levels.  But I really cannot fit anymore calories in, unless I start eating things I do not want to eat like bread, rice, crackers etc.  My snacks are mostly protein based,  I do eat a couple tiny servings of veggies and fruit daily.  Taking all my vitamins and drinking 9 to 10 at least cups of fluid.

Am I too low on calories?  Is that why I am tired?.  My nut would like to have me higher on calories, and I am not really against that but there really is no room for HEALTHY calories in my tiny tummy. 

Any advice would be appreciated.

BTW weight loss last 2 weeks  has been good.

Anne

HW 259    GW 145    CW 140.2  Not finished yet?   

PetHairMagnet
on 6/6/13 12:35 am
RNY on 05/13/13

I don't think it has anything to do with calories. I am 3 weeks post op and eating around 500 calories a day and burning close to 400 on my daily elliptical workout. My doctor does not allow for extra calories due to working out unless you are negative in calories. So if I am burning 600, I would have to eat 600.

My big question would be vitamins? Are you taking enough of the right kind throughout the day?

gettingwhatIwant
on 6/17/13 1:37 am - NY

Definitely get your three month blood work done to see if that's in order. It makes a big difference in energy levels if you have a deficiency.

Also dumb question...are you sacrificing sleep to get to the gym that early...it may be that that simple? Remember that the body doesn't heal all at once. It can be over a year for all of the healing to take place and fully stabilize- you may just be going through another healing push and those take energy and you may just be in a period where you need a little more sleep.

Also if the above don't ring a bell and your nutritionist is a bariatric one and really gets that you are a post op patient and isn't treating you like a pre-op  (ie telling you that going under 1200 calories is NUTS) and really thinks your increasing calories is a good idea you can add small amounts of healthy fats (olive oil, avocado etc) nudge up your calorie amounts without a ton of volume or significantly affecting your carb grams.

Most Active