x-post 1/2 marathon in San Diego today

Linda B.
on 6/2/13 4:40 pm - CO
VSG on 09/13/12

Today I participated in the Rock and Roll 1/2 marathon in San Diego. Mike B. (DH) also ran it and was able to PR with a finishing time of 1:51. I have no idea how long it took me, I ran a little, but walked most of it. There were a few times I wanted to give up, but before the race started, I saw a race number with this quote "death before DNF" so when it got hard, I just kept telling myself "death before DNF" and just kept going.

There were many funny race number quotes and t-shirts to read, and some cute signs too. Some of the more memorable ones, PR or ER, my wife punked me, I thought they said rum, they told me it was a 5K, and run faster, zombies are chasing you, and they don't like fast food. The cheering crowd was helpful. The people of San Diego were great, I saw people out in their yards cheering us on and some were handing ou****er. People in cars were honking and cheering.

While Mike really loves running, and is even considering a full marathon, running really isn't for me. I probably won't do this again. But, 8 months ago this would not have even been possible. So, even though running isn't my sport of choice, this was in a sense, a victory lap for me.

I do want to thank everyone here who gave me suggestion for fuel withour too much sugar along the way. It was quite helpful.

high weight 230 start of journey weight 217 surgery weight 191 current weight 138

nfarris79
on 6/2/13 8:03 pm - Germantown, MD

Props to you both for the PR & finishing! Those t-shirts are pretty funny.... I saw one during my Half on Saturday that said "in case of zombies, I'm tripping you". 

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

(deactivated member)
on 6/2/13 9:59 pm

Hey, sounds like you did great, even if running isn't your thing! Victory lap, indeed!! Congrats ;)

Most Active