Backpacking food?

Karens62
on 5/23/13 10:59 am - NC
RNY on 02/26/13
I have a lot of experience lightweight backpacking but haven't gone since last summer. I'm almost 3 months out and am having challenges figuring out what to bring for supper this coming weekend that aren't the standard carb heavy backpacking fare. I'm trying to keep my pack, with food and water, well under 25 pounds so no cans, minimal to no cooking (ho****er only) and, of course , no refrigeration. We'll only be out two nights but that's long enough I don't want to bring just protein bars. We'll be in an area with a number of bear so I have already ruled out tuna.

Right now I'm planning on cheese, nuts and protein bars for breakfast, lunches and snacks along with crystal light and sugar free spiced cider to drink. Any other ideas?

HW - 319, SW - 303.5 

nfarris79
on 5/24/13 9:27 am - Germantown, MD

Not sure if at 3 months out this suggestion would be too happy in your pouch but I'd recommend jerky. The softest & tastiest one I've found is Jack Links Prime Rib flavor.

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

Paul C.
on 5/28/13 4:12 am - Cumming, GA

Since your diet is going to be limited I would recommend something that contains Electolytes to drink.  The Low Cal G2 comes in packets or you can get tablets from a sports shop NuuN and GU Brew or Hammer Fizz are some of the most common.  I know a couple of the companies that make hydration packs actually have a product you can use in their bladders.

At 3 months out is is going to be difficult to say as I still didn't do much food stuffs for other reasons but as you get farther out you need to learn to tailor your diet to our activity.  Depending on how many miles you avg during a day you can burn a few thousand calories and pure protein replacement calories aren't always what you need.

The Nuts are a good idea you may get some granola and make your own trail mix along with some fresh fruit.

Be sure you use a bear bag and enjoy!

Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
Karens62
on 5/28/13 5:00 am - NC
RNY on 02/26/13
I'm back and survived the first post-surgery hike. At the last minute I brought protein shake powder premixed with dried milk and ended up having that for both dinners. It was more appetizing than the rehydrated chili I had planned to eat. Lunch was peanut butter on these crackers I picked up somewhere that were mostly seeds and whole grains and little processed flour. They had 6 gm protein and only 8 net carbs so, considering the exercise, I felt it was a good choice. I just wish i could remember where i got them and what the package looked like! Snacks were turkey pepperoni, chunks of cheese and nuts, couple SF lifesavers with an oh yeah protein bar for breakfast each am. Add in propel, crystal light and lots and lots of water and it was a successful trip. We did 11 miles with our packs and another 4-5 without while exploring after setting up camp both nights. I felt great the whole time, had a ton more endurance and even lost a pound while I was gone. Thanks for the suggestions and I'll be keeping an eye out for some other ideas. Chunks of cheese while hiking in mid-summer in the south is just gross

HW - 319, SW - 303.5 

Seht
on 5/29/13 12:54 am

Jerky is great, tons of protein, and give you something to chew.  For me that is big, I need to feel like I ate something.  Soft slider foods don't do a lot for my feeling of hunger.

Also you can pre-make Peanut butter sandwiches and cut them to size and seal in a zip lock bag.

These are convenient already portioned options, that don't require refrigeration.  I like to take them on long bike rides..

You get plenty of calories in a dense package.  There are also some companies that make PB that comes in individual packets that look like condiment packages.  I like this one as they come in different flavors or nut butters.  http://www.justins.com/

You may want to double bag anything you make since you mentioned bears.

Have a great trip and let us know how the trip went.

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Most Active