Marathon Training Plan Recomendations?

John V.
on 5/17/13 1:59 am - MN

Anyone have a training plan for a first-time marathon runner that you'd recommend?  There are tons all over the internet that promise the world, but would love to hear from anyone that has had good luck with something that they have used.  

Few details: 

I'm about 20 weeks out (Twin Cities Marathon on October 6)
Best time for a 1/2 was 1:59. 
My goal is to finish, not worry about time. 

I'm a Runner's World reader and have been leaning towards their SmartCoachPLUS program.  

Thanks!
John

HW:  280  /  SW: 250  /  GW#1: 175  /  GW#2: 160  /  GW#3: 150 / CW: 147.8    
 Includes 30 lbs lost pre-surgery.    
nfarris79
on 5/17/13 10:36 am - Germantown, MD

I'm doing a First Time Marathoners' program with my local running club and like it so far - - Marine Corps' on Oct 27th is going to be my first full. I'd be nervous about doing a plan on my own but if you'd like our training schedule, send me a PM and I'll forward you our calendar b/c it has our long runs, solo runs, and track speedwork on it.

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

John V.
on 5/20/13 6:51 am - MN

Thanks!! Will do.

decodame
on 5/20/13 3:24 am

Hi there. I am 2.5 years post-op and ran my first marathon at 11 months post-op (the TC Marathon in 2011). I have since run 3 marathons and am training for my fourth (the TC 2013!). Like you my only goal for the first one was to finish. I looked at the runner's world plans and lots of other ones online before essentially creating my own. Basically I charted all of my long runs first (be sure to leave 2-4 weeks to taper off before race day). I started in April at 4 miles and made my way up to 23 miles 3 weeks before the race. Once you get into more than about 12 miles, I started doing long runs every other weekend instead of every weekend, because my body just needed more time to recover. My short runs during the week were run at a little faster pace, or else focused on hill work. I also think it helped knowing the course. Most of the course I had run during my training (up and down the river, Minnehaha ave, Lake Nokomis, etc). Anyways, that's my two cents. I think had I pulled a training guide out of book and tried to follow it on my first attempt would have been discouraging as I wasn't a regular runner before I started training. And to be honest, I think a lot of the guides include too much running for beginners. I only run about 3 days a week and most of them had you running at least 5. As long as you don't miss a long run, you will be able to finish. At least I was! Of course it sounds like you are already running regularly and want more of a challenge; as you've already done a half (congrats!) I made the Mpls. half marathon part of my training leading up to the TC and that worked out great. Good luck-- see you at the finish line!!

John V.
on 5/20/13 6:51 am - MN

Great advice and thanks for the encouragement!  The Mpls 1/2 (2012) was the first time I had run a half marathon and I felt pretty good about it.  I ended last year with the Monster 1/2 at the end of October.  That's always a fun one! :)

I like the 3 runs a week idea.. I've seen some plans suggest that it was doable so I think I may take that track and throw in a couple of days on the bike to keep things interesting and not burn out on runs.  

Emily H.
on 5/20/13 8:23 pm
John, are you able to use Gatorade type drinks or gu?

I cramp up.
I'm having issues getting my mileage past ten because of this.

(Hope you don't mind I asked you this with/in your post.)

emily h*
10-27-04 rny

decodame
on 5/22/13 11:13 am
I hope you don't mind my replying to your question. I've never had problems with Gatorade or gu (for reference I had RNY gastric bypass). You definitely want to try it on a shorter run first, closer to home, especially if you've had trouble with sugar in the past. But keep in mind that your body will react to gu differently when you need it desperately because you are running 10 miles as opposed to just eating it when you're not being active. You could also try to eat it with something you know you can tolerate until you feel comfortable that you can eat the gu alone. Whatever you decide, I say go for it! It may just come down to taking what feels like a big risk but you will find something that works and never look back. Also be careful after your long runs, because I've had issues with hypoglycemia immediately after finishing a long run, even when I took gu and Gatorade. So I always have OJ at home because if this. Good luck (go for it!) and enjoy the incredibly things your strong body can accomplish!
decodame
on 5/22/13 11:15 am
Sorry I also meant to add that even with gu I still cramp up in the calves on long runs (especially in the heat where you are sweating a lot) and so I use salt tabs. I think the brand it called salt stick. They are just capsules with electrolytes. Easier and more concentrated than Gatorade. I take them every 45 min roughly, never have calf cramps using them.
Most Active