1/2 marathon coming up, snack ideas needed

Linda B.
on 5/14/13 5:47 am - CO
VSG on 09/13/12

I usually can be found on the VSG forum, but I figured you folks would be the right ones to ask, when completing a long run or walk, what do you take to fuel your body for the long haul? I know that the aid stations will have energy gel, but that is just sugar and that won't work for me. I tend to get sick if I eat sugar, so anybody know of a SF alternative?

DH runs 1/2 marathons regularly, he also has a VSG but he is fast and tends to not need the help. However, I am primarily walking this course with a little running so I can keep to the 4 hour time limit. He thinks I will need a boost or two, but traditional race snacks are nothing but sugar. I sure could use some suggestions. Thanks.

high weight 230 start of journey weight 217 surgery weight 191 current weight 138

KatCooper
on 5/14/13 7:21 am - Collierville, TN

Well, at the risk of being obvious, they are sugar because it is a quick carb and that gives you energy. :-)   What can you tolerate that is small and could fit in a pack?  What do you use during your training?   I dont usually dump, so I dont have an issue with the gels or chews.  How about a half a peanut butter sandwich?  Could you get someone to meet you half way with an apple or grapes?  Do you also get sick with gatorade? I am sure someone here will chime in.  I know Paul doesnt tolerate sugar well.  Maybe he can help.  

Lots of 5K's, 10K's., 4 1/2 Marathons, 3 Sprint Triathlon done. 2 Olympics and my  First IRONMAN 70.3 September 2013 and First Full Marathon Dec 2013  !!!!!

My blog- www.NPRunner.blogspot.com

Linda B.
on 5/14/13 4:17 pm - CO
VSG on 09/13/12

Thanks for the insight. I went to GNC and almost everything is just pure sugar. At home, I use powerade zero in a waist pack bottle contraption. I was thinking of filling the bottle with this and packing a snack just in case. I was just wondering if anyone knew of a product similar to the chews that was more WLS friendly. I do like the idea of taking fruit. I will be moving at a slower pace, so that could work.

high weight 230 start of journey weight 217 surgery weight 191 current weight 138

rjsams
on 5/14/13 1:10 pm - Eagan, MN

I have trouble with sugar, too, and this is an issue I have struggled with.  I can do a Clif Shot Blok, the gummy things.  I just put it in my cheek and let it dissolve, but it's really not enough.  It takes a good 3-4 miles for it to dissolve, and even then I have to chew it at the end.  When I chew it I need to be within sight of a porta potty on course.

I have tried the lower sugar Powerade, which gives you some easily digestible calories.  Also, my local natural food store has these energy chunk things that we sometimes use.  I think you might be okay with something more solid if you are mostly walking.  The harder you are working, the more blood is pulled away from your digestive tract, and so it can't digest anything too difficult.  Can you do any of the energy bars at all?  Or what about a Fig Newton or something?

You may have to experiment a bit to see what you can tolerate.  I do better with sugar when it is combined with some carbs, like a Fig Newton or something like that.  Fruit sends me straight to the nearest porta potty.  It could be ugly. 

Linda B.
on 5/14/13 4:27 pm - CO
VSG on 09/13/12

Thanks for the suggestions. I hadn't heard of the shot blok, I might get one and try it out to see what happens. I am usually alright with small amounts of sugar, but I gave up sugar months pre-op and had problems when I tried to eat it even before my surgery. I'm not sure if it is classic dumping, but I get shaky and lightheaded when I eat something that is high in sugar. The last thing I want to do is get sick in San Diego, my forst 1/2 marathon, and my anniversary weekend. I figured I better find something and try it ahead of time. Thanks again for the help.

(deactivated member)
on 5/14/13 10:44 pm

In general, I've been having to "clean up" my diet more than I had in early days as I don't typically dump but have more of RH issues where I get a delayed reaction to anything too carb-heavy or sugar laden. I used to not worry about anything that I ate or drink while I was running as I knew that whatever I was taking in was being negated by my effort/energy going out. That's not the case anymore because if I make a wrong choice I feel bad!

Fig newtons were suggested and I used those in my half marathon. Also, if you can tolerate eating it while exercising and have a way to carry it, I sometimes eat two saltines with a slightly heavy smear of peanut butter - some simple carbs for the short and some fat and a bit of protein to keep my blood sugar level for the long run. I usually stash that in my flower bed curb and just run by my house and eat that, I'm not sure how well it would carry.

Scott William
on 5/14/13 11:38 pm

It's logisically  tough but I am a fan of chicken noodle soup.  Also pretzel sticks have helped me.

Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
(deactivated member)
on 5/15/13 12:19 am

The soup would be right up my alley! Warm and salty and would go down easy. I have a really hard time chewing/swallowing when I'm running, even if I walk or come to a complete stop.

My family is going to be keepers of the chicken noodle soup for my fall marathon. Thanks for the great idea (even if I wasn't the one asking)!

nfarris79
on 5/16/13 9:02 pm - Germantown, MD

Others have given good suggestions and paramount to anything is try NOTHING new the day of your 1/2. Experiment on your long runs/walks now to see what will work. Combining carb + protein may be the best for controlling your blood sugar issues, e.g. chop up a protein bar and take little bits of it during your walks. Also, making sure your nutrition is good in the days leading up to the race is very important (upping protein/fats 10 days before the race and upping carbs 3 days before race and hydrating well 24-48hrs before race). Good luck!

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

John V.
on 5/17/13 2:03 am - MN

Like many have said, try BEFORE your race, not the day of your race, etc..  :)

I tolerate ShotBloks very well on the bike, but get cramps when I eat them during a run.  

The best type of quick energy that I have found for running, that isn't loaded with sugar, are the gel shots from Hammer.  Compared to the rest of the stuff out there I think they only have about 2g of sugar.  I'll also sip a bit of PowerAde or whatever electrolyte replacement they are handing out at aid stations. 

Best of luck!

John

HW:  280  /  SW: 250  /  GW#1: 175  /  GW#2: 160  /  GW#3: 150 / CW: 147.8    
 Includes 30 lbs lost pre-surgery.    
Most Active