Cycling a charity bike ride 6 weeks after WLS?

ohbearly
on 5/14/13 2:39 am - Mogadore, OH
Revision on 07/31/13

Five years ago I had Lapband surgery and since that date I have adopted a pretty active life. I cycle 3-4 times a week (20-35 miles each time) and love riding in charity events like Bike MS 150.  Due to issues with my Lapband, I am headed to revision surgery this summer to RNY.

The question I have for other WLS cyclists is, “How long after your surgery was it that you could attempt an 50 mile plus ride?” I have a Labor Day 3-day 150 mile charity ride that I would love to continue to ride. However, I most likely will have my RNY surgery in late July. Is it feasible to still ride 50 miles a day at 6 weeks post-op?

Tom

Follow my journey to a happy, healthy, active life at TomBilcze.com 

cabin111
on 5/14/13 9:54 am

I would not do it.  Several things are happening to your body and that is the wrong time to take on a major ride.  During RNY (especially for men) there is rapid weight loss occurring.  I was losing almost a pound a day...It really takes it out of you.  One week I lost 10 pounds!!  Try doing hard exercise while dropping weight fast...They don't mix.  The #1 reason people reenter the hospital post op is dehydration.  Your pouch will be in control, not you for the first 6 months.  "Hey!!  Guess what??  I dump on GU Chews!!"  You don't want to find that out at mile 40.  Most people are permitted to start strenuous exercise at 6 weeks.  But to take on a big ride could be a problem.  I remember trying to grab for energy post op at about 3-4 months and it just wasn't there.  Before I could grab a Snickers Bar or something.  You also what to allow for the healing process in the pouch (stomach) and the incesions to take place...Falls also may not be good.  Most doctors don't want any heavy lifting for 6 weeks...each vary (some say 5 pounds...Some 10.  I would work on endurance (post op) by walking or on a stationary bike...Not pushing too hard.  Yeah, you may be able to do the 50 miles, but would think just building up the endurance and listening to your body would be the way to go for the first 6 weeks (you are right at the cusp on the time limit).  Just my 2 cents...Brian  PS  I don't want to discourage you...I love my bike and can hardly live without it.  Just saying "patients grasshopper..."

ohbearly
on 5/14/13 8:15 pm - Mogadore, OH
Revision on 07/31/13

Brian,

Thanks for the feedback. Very good points. I suspect I will not be up for it. I am hoping that recovery from a revision surgery is faster than the norm since I have lost a good bit of weight. My main fear is not having the "power" to make it. I recall my first Bike MS event where I had to learn how to keep my protein and electrolite intake constant thru the ride. Many times I just lost energy.I also realize I will be largely out of commission for many weeks up to the event. Going from almost no miles to 50 miles is going to be hard.

Tom   

Follow my journey to a happy, healthy, active life at TomBilcze.com 

PetHairMagnet
on 6/2/13 9:43 pm
RNY on 05/13/13
On May 14, 2013 at 4:54 PM Pacific Time, cabin111 wrote:

I would not do it.  Several things are happening to your body and that is the wrong time to take on a major ride.  During RNY (especially for men) there is rapid weight loss occurring.  I was losing almost a pound a day...It really takes it out of you.  One week I lost 10 pounds!!  Try doing hard exercise while dropping weight fast...They don't mix.  The #1 reason people reenter the hospital post op is dehydration.  Your pouch will be in control, not you for the first 6 months.  "Hey!!  Guess what??  I dump on GU Chews!!"  You don't want to find that out at mile 40.  Most people are permitted to start strenuous exercise at 6 weeks.  But to take on a big ride could be a problem.  I remember trying to grab for energy post op at about 3-4 months and it just wasn't there.  Before I could grab a Snickers Bar or something.  You also what to allow for the healing process in the pouch (stomach) and the incesions to take place...Falls also may not be good.  Most doctors don't want any heavy lifting for 6 weeks...each vary (some say 5 pounds...Some 10.  I would work on endurance (post op) by walking or on a stationary bike...Not pushing too hard.  Yeah, you may be able to do the 50 miles, but would think just building up the endurance and listening to your body would be the way to go for the first 6 weeks (you are right at the cusp on the time limit).  Just my 2 cents...Brian  PS  I don't want to discourage you...I love my bike and can hardly live without it.  Just saying "patients grasshopper..."

I would agree. Watching my husband go through this and then me 7 months later, he lost weight like CRAZY and no way could he have done that 6 weeks out and he was up and at it pretty immediately after surgery.

Hope your revision goes well!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

InkdSpEdTchr
on 5/15/13 3:15 am

Tom, 

I'm with Brian- I wouldn't risk it...and I'm pretty risky! Recovery from surgery takes such a toll on your body, so be kind to it and only do short bike rides until your insides are up for it!

Plus, you'll have many years of post-op time for long bike rides. I've ridden as  much as 125miles in a day and 545miles in a week post-op RNY!

Maybe take that time to plan your next touring adventure?!?

Take Care,

:Danni  >>>AIDS/LifeCycle 10 & 11 Finisher: 545miles on the bike in 7 days <<<
HW390/SW340/CW 208/GW170

Most Active