A big thanks to all of you! and Sprint triathlon or half marathon or both...?

effyx1
on 5/5/13 12:48 pm - Saginaw, MI
First, I want to say I have lurked on this forum since before my surgery in August 2011. All of you inspired me to not just lose weight, but also get fit and find a physical activity that I can enjoy for the rest of my life.

I have completed 2 5k races and the AphaRace (similar to the Warrior Dash). I have run 244 miles this year with a record distance of 8.19 miles today. I met my goal of finishing a 5k race in under 30 minutes on March 17th. I also just bought a Specialized Vita Sport (hybrid bike) so I can either cross train or start training for a triathlon. I haven't decided which yet.

I am looking for my next challenge. I am running my very first 10k race in a couple weeks and AlphaRace #2 in a month, and I don't know what to do next. I learned the hard way that if I don't have a very specific goal (like a race or event that I've actually signed up for), it's way to easy for me to start slacking when it comes to physical activity.

At first, I thought I would want to put my efforts to a half marathon in the fall, but yesterday when I got myself a fancy new bike, I started thinking I might be crazy enough to do a sprint triathlon. I originally got the bike because I was worried about over training with just running. I ran 5 days and over 30 miles last week. The only reason I didn't run yesterday is because I got the bike and rode 11 miles.

Not every week is like that, but I really try to get out and be active if I'm in the mood for it just to make up for the weeks when I miss a workout. I've also been pretty stressed lately, and exercise is a better outlet than Reese's peanut butter cups...

So, back on topic, is it possible to train for both a half marathon and a triathlon at the same time or should I pick one and focus on that? I have time, so that is not an issue. I really just don't want to risk injury.

HW:306; Pre-op:288; SW:274; CW:131; GW:138

LJ1972
on 5/6/13 6:23 am - FL

I just this week started training for a half marathon in November, and I have a Sprint Tri in September and October.  Swimming is an awesome cardio exercise (my trainer says it's the best) so it will benefit marathon training, and biking is an exceptional cross training exercise.  I say go for it!!

COURAGE TO START, STRENGTH TO ENDURE, RESOLVE TO FINISH 
                              HW 353 SW 317 Original GW 180  Current Wt  170 
                               First 5k 59:18; 5k PR 32:06;  1st 10k 1:20:27; PR 1:08:36
                                                    1st Half Marathon 2:48

Pensacola Double Bridge Run 15k- 1:47:34
                                                  Three Sprint Triathlons

KatCooper
on 5/8/13 10:34 am - Collierville, TN

Go for both.  The cross training for the tri will make you stronger.  Learning to run on tired legs when you are tri training will serve you well for the half marathon.  I love the half distance.  You have to train for it, but it doesnt kill you!  Good luck and big CONGRATS on your accomplishments!!

Kat

Lots of 5K's, 10K's., 4 1/2 Marathons, 3 Sprint Triathlon done. 2 Olympics and my  First IRONMAN 70.3 September 2013 and First Full Marathon Dec 2013  !!!!!

My blog- www.NPRunner.blogspot.com

Paul C.
on 5/13/13 4:19 am - Cumming, GA

It is totally possible to train for both at the same time.  Consider the fact that you have to run X miles as part of your Tri.  If you are targeting a Sprint Tri you will be running a 5K which will quickly become your warm up if you target a Half anything!

If you are biking now you just need to add the swim, do not be fooled by the words "400m swim" or some "small" sounding number you need to train for each element in the Tri and focus on those you need to improve.  if you do your long runs on weekends like most then you could easily pull off a sprint tri and Half Marathon.

Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
rjsams
on 5/14/13 12:54 am - Eagan, MN

I agree, you can do both.  I am doing the Fargo Half-Marathon on Saturday, then beginning tri training for a sprint triathlon in August, and then doing another half in the fall.  The training is very complementary.

Sounds like you are very ready to do both.  Great job!

Most Active