Heart Rate During Exercise

hrford
on 5/4/13 11:17 pm
VSG on 03/19/12

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/308002012

I don't know if you guys can see that, if not let me know.  IF you can you'll notice that it says I'm running at a very high % of my max hear rate (anywhere from 90 to 101%)  I don't feel horrible or overworked at the pace I'm running, like you would think I would feel if I was running mile after mile at that % of max heart rate.  So Is my max heart rate just higher?  Should I be concerned by any of this?  Am I hurting my fitness running at these levels even if I don't feel awful?  

HW: 270 SW: 234.4 CW: 135.0 1stGW:149 (GOAL MET)afreshstart-hreneeh.blogspot.com/
1st 5k: 5/12/12 44:55  PR 4miles: 12/31/2012 35:49

Kim H.
on 5/7/13 10:04 am - VA
RNY on 07/11/11 with

Well, I'm not an expert but I do have a few thoughts on the matter. First I would say that if you're exercising comfortably then it may not be your true max but a chart max so how you feel matters more than what they say the number should be. Having said that, I would also say that research shows no real benefit from exercising at 95% of your max. It's actually safer to exercise at a lower intensity but like I said maybe your true level of intensity is higher than what the chart says. Many people also talk about the "fat burn" at lower levels meaning that it's truly aerobic rather than where you burn more available glycogen when working at high levels like you're doing. Personally, I would say keep at the same distance and start playing with the pace. Maybe do intervals as you run and intentionally go slower then faster, repeat, etc. to see if you notice your fitness level improving as evidenced by a drop in your heart rate. I wouldn't add any more miles or speed until you see your workout getting easy both in terms of how you feel and what your heart rate is doing (meaning it should be dropping as you get more fit). Make sure you're not dehydrated or taking any meds that might effect your heart rate. Finally, as with all things maybe talk to your doctor or a health professional and see what they advise. Not sure if this helped but I hope so. Keep up the good work no matter what!

I am my own hero...I save myself one day, one meal, one bite, one choice, one challenge, one step at a time...
hrford
on 5/7/13 11:05 am
VSG on 03/19/12

I guess that's just it, I don't feel tired or overworked at that pace.  Now the last mile I picked up the pace to a 9 min mile and that's not something I could sustain for longer than a mile (after running 4 miles) but the 9:45 pace I held for the other 4 miles, I could have held that for another 3-4 miles no problem, wasn't sweating and breathing was elevated but not horribly so.  I guess that makes me question what my max heart rate is.  I know that seems like a high heart rate but if I could still carry on a conversation at that pace, am I really indeed at 95%?  If I ran slower say a 11 min mile I could probably sing the entire time and not have a raised respiration rate at all.  But I will say that  I "should" feel more winded with a sustained heart rate of 175.  I mean that's high!  

I think I'll run it by a doc just to make sure all is okay, just sorta has me perplexed as I would think I would feel more tired or beat up after keeping a heart rate at that level for that long, and I just don't.  

HW: 270 SW: 234.4 CW: 135.0 1stGW:149 (GOAL MET)afreshstart-hreneeh.blogspot.com/
1st 5k: 5/12/12 44:55  PR 4miles: 12/31/2012 35:49

Scott William
on 5/8/13 12:22 pm

My guess would be that the device that is taking your HR is wrong.  You should check it yourself during your next run.  Every mile stop and check it.  I would bet it's in the 150 to 160 range.

Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Most Active