Kind of interesting question..

Carol S.
on 4/25/13 2:43 pm - Milwaukee, WI

I'm a runner and have been for a few years now.  I'm starting to struggle with nagging pains etc. in my knees and ankles.  I figure that some of it is caused by my odd gait due to the excess skin on my inner thighs.  Yes, I wear compression gear but it's not enough and forcing me to have to run like a chicken basically.

Where would I go to have this looked at and documented for my medical record?  What kind of physician, etc. would be able to give me answers?  Sports medicine?  I figure eventually it may lead to getting the skin removed but I want to do this the right way to get that end result.

Thank you.

Carol

SW/276 CW 150 GW 185

9 Years out.

Sam LifeNerd
on 4/26/13 3:19 am

Lots of stuff posted on the internet for/against it, but barefoot running shoes was the answer for me.  Had knee and ankle issues but my gait changed completely / naturally when I put on those Merrell Barefoots.  I also run in Vibram Fivefingers.  YMMV.

Worth a try if you haven't, also just having your running posture/gait analyzed to see if your style of running is the issue.  Yes, the extra skin could make your legs wider slightly than normal but I suspect there are many other factors too.

Carol S.
on 4/26/13 3:09 pm - Milwaukee, WI

I will take a look at the Barefoot shoes!  Thank you for your input.

Who analyzes gait and posture?  I would not think it's just in a running shoe store, right?

Carol

SW/276 CW 150 GW 185

9 Years out.

nfarris79
on 4/26/13 8:03 pm - Germantown, MD

Actually, some running stores do gait analysis but probably not as intensive as you're looking for. Do a local search for Gait Analysis - - some PTs and sports medicine places do really thourough evals, though they might be a bit pricy. One PT & certified trainer I know of charges $225 for an hour. Another option is looking for a stride clinic - - my local running club conducts them monthly, and it can help with injury prevention & improving speed/endurance. I wouldn't be surprised if those non-invasive options are what drs/surgeons would want to see you tried out to prove that it really is the excess skin that's inhibiting function...

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

PetHairMagnet
on 6/2/13 9:36 pm
RNY on 05/13/13
On April 26, 2013 at 10:19 AM Pacific Time, Sam LifeNerd wrote:

Lots of stuff posted on the internet for/against it, but barefoot running shoes was the answer for me.  Had knee and ankle issues but my gait changed completely / naturally when I put on those Merrell Barefoots.  I also run in Vibram Fivefingers.  YMMV.

Worth a try if you haven't, also just having your running posture/gait analyzed to see if your style of running is the issue.  Yes, the extra skin could make your legs wider slightly than normal but I suspect there are many other factors too.

I agree with the gait analysis!

I was wearing a shoe that was almost making me walk/run my very worst because I have a natural tendency to have a certain gait and the shoes I had on were 'exaggerating' that.  Once I went and had the gait analysis done (free) and they put me in shoes that helped correct my gait--WOW!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Most Active