Fueling for endurance?

Rose_Queen
on 4/24/13 11:58 am - OR
RNY on 05/10/12

Hi!!

I'm new to this forum and I've been lurking and reading your posts and you all are very inspiring to me. I love seeing what is possible and what I can also accomplish by seeing what you have done!

I'd love your experience and expertise for my nutrition. I had RNY May 10, 2012 and my highest weight was in January 2012 at 308. My surgery weight was 275 and I have lost 150 lbs. I'm 158 now and I would like to get to 140 or below - I'm 5'3" and I just want to be in a normal weight range for once in my life.

That said, I am thrilled with my weight loss so far and I feel better than I've ever felt. I was MO for 20 years, so I feel like I have lost time to make up for and I've started (because I can and because I love it now) working out a lot and running. I'm training for a 1/2 marathon and I've discovered that I love exercising for 1.5-3 hours a day 4-5 days a week.

Since I've ramped up my exercising, I've also tried to fuel my workouts so I'm not hitting the wall and I'm eating more than I ever have since surgery. I know that I will be able to eat more naturally as I progress and I'm almost a year out, but I also don't want to under fuel or over-eat and not lose the remainder of my weight. 

I've read on other boards that many of you eat less calories in maintenance than I have been lately and I'm wondering how you do that.

Today, for example, I ate:

B- 2 oz turkey breast

S- Protein coffee with 1 cup milk and Click/Chocolate Nectar

Pre-Workout Snack - 1 Tbs Peanut Butter and medium size banana

Post-Workout Snack - Venti Non-Fat Latte from Starbucks

Lunch - Chocolate Chip Cookie Quest Bar

Afternoon snack - 1 lite cheese stick, 12 almonds, 1 apple

Dinner - 2.5 oz baked salmon, 1 tsp olive oil, 2 tbs lentils, 2 tbs parmesan cheese and 1/2 cup mixed greens

Maybe snack - 1/2 cup chocolate PB protein ice cream (homemade)

1642 calories

150 carbs

151 protein

76 sugars

39 fiber

59 Fat

Today I did 2 Zumba classes, 30 minutes elliptical, 30 minute run (with hills pushing a stroller) = 3 hours of fairly high intensity 

I spaced out the workouts and did 1 Zumba class and 30 minute elliptical, then 30 minute run a couple hours later then the 2nd Zumba class.

Today I've eaten the most calories I've ever eaten post-op and I need advice to see if I'm over eating! How do people train hard and eat 1,200 to 1,400 calories everyday to keep losing?

Thank you so much!!!!

HW (Jan 2012): 308    SW (May 2012): 275       CW: 145   GW: 135  

Rose_Queen
on 4/25/13 3:08 pm - OR
RNY on 05/10/12

Thank you for replying! I really appreciate it! I did speak with my RD and she said that with my exercise, that 1,200 would be too low on exercise days - that 1,500 to 1,800 at least would be a goal.. She suggested adding carbs like banana, PB, apples, Quest bars, extra milk, Kashi and Fiber One cereals. So on exercise days (I don't run very far yet, but I do run for 2-3 hours at a time with hills in there, too) and on those days I need the carbs. Today was 1 hour of yoga, 30 mins elliptical and 45 minutes hill intervals pushing the stroller and tomorrow, Sat and Sunday will be rest days and I will cut out the carbs, so back to 1200 or so without the banana, apple, venti latte, and extra PB. Usually I exercise 1,5-3 hours a day M-F with Sat and Sun rest days.  

I've been training like this:

Mondays: 1.5-3 hour run with hills in the morning then 1 hour Zumba in the afternoon

Tuesdays: 1.5-3 hour run with hills in the morning, then 1 hour yoga in the afternoon

Wednesdays: 1 hour Zumba and 30 mins elliptical in the morning, 30 mins hill intervals in the mid-afternoon and 1 hour Zumba in the late afternoon

Thursdays: 1.5-3 hour run with hills

Friday: 60 mins elliptical or rest day

Saturday: one Sat a month I do 3 classes in a row at the gym, other Saturdays are rest days

Sunday: rest day

I'm working on that balance between fueling for regular exercise and intense training and what that means for nutrition. I remember from a previous thread on the RNY forum that you are down in the low 120's and that is what I want for myself, too! I would be thrilled to get to 140 at this point, but really, I want to blast past that. So I don't want to overeat while training and exercising and sabotage my loss. And I wouldn't be asking or worried, but I've been stuck at 158 for several weeks now and I thought that with all of the extra exercise I would have lost a little lately. Could be a regular stall, or could be me eating too much.  I track every bite and pretty much eat the same things everyday (I don't really get sick of eating what I like, so I'm sticking with it. :) I also understand that my body could be adjusting to the extra exercise and will drop pounds when it is ready. I can wear smaller sizes even without the loss in pounds, so I know I'm changing, but holy moly, I just want to reach my goal!

I asked for a Body Media for Mother's Day so perhaps a little info will help. I'm hoping that knowing how much I'm burning in my exercise will help me with my calories. I'm learning to listen to my body, too, and a banana and a tb of PB before a long, slow run will get me through, and then an apple, almonds and cheese stick will get me through a second round of yoga or Zumba later in the day. I have the latte for recovery after a run and Quest bar for lunch in between, usually. I'm eating every 2-3 hours and getting plenty of water.

Would you be willing to share what you eat and how you fuel for your training on a typical day?

Thank you so much!! I am so grateful to have your expertise and wisdom! And thanks for listening and commenting - this new life can be complex and overwhelming sometimes!

nfarris79
on 4/25/13 8:41 pm - Germantown, MD

If you're on MyFitnessPal, I'm listed on there as nfarris79, so you can send a friend request to see my food diary. What I ate in the first year is WAYY different than I eat now but I try to just focus on making good choices on both exercise days & rest days. I lost the great majority of my weight in the first 8 months, but it took me an additional YEAR to get below goal. It sounds like you work out a LOT, so have faith that you'll likely get to goal or below - - though if your body decides that's not optimal, focus on the fact that you're HEALTHY and really making exercise part of your life! 

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

Rose_Queen
on 4/28/13 11:13 pm - OR
RNY on 05/10/12

Thank you!! I am on MyFitnessPal, so I will send you a friend request. Thank you for being willing to share!

KatCooper
on 4/28/13 6:10 am - Collierville, TN

Do you have something while you are running?  About every 45 min I use GU, or chomps to keep my energy level up.  I absolutely HATE that feeling when you bonk....so I always keep something on me when running longer distances.   I think your numbers look fine.  But more importantly, how do you feel.  I was sure I was going to be 150 and I am very happy at 165-170.  I am in a size 10 and dont have to watch every single thing that I eat (but I still log it)  I started out just a bit heavier that you did....isnt it cool that our lives have changed so much!!!   Best of luck with your goals...keep it tough, but enjoyable!!

Kat

Lots of 5K's, 10K's., 4 1/2 Marathons, 3 Sprint Triathlon done. 2 Olympics and my  First IRONMAN 70.3 September 2013 and First Full Marathon Dec 2013  !!!!!

My blog- www.NPRunner.blogspot.com

rjsams
on 4/29/13 12:45 am - Eagan, MN

This is a great question and one that I also have been struggling with.  Is anybody aware of any studies that have been done on endurance exercise fueling post-WLS?  I ask my nutritionist or nurse and the answers I get are vague and unhelpful. 

I have trouble with GUs or Gatorade or other endurance-support fueling; they cause me to dump mid-run, which is highly unpleasant.  I am trying different things, but so far all I've been able to do is Clif shot bloks, and I can hold one in my cheek and let it dissolve over the miles.  It takes at least 3-4 miles for it to dissolve, which I don't think is enough calories to support running.  Even then I chew it up after awhile, and there better be a porta-potty within view on course!  I set a goal to do three of those during a half-marathon, but I've never been able to get all three in during the run.  And 3 Clif Shot Bloks is only about 100 calories.

On a daily basis, I don't put in as many hours of exercise per day as the OP, but I do eat 1600-1800 calories per day.  I have been maintaining for 2 years at around 140 lbs (I'm 5'7") so that's where I'd like to stay. 

I'd love to hear about different people's strategies for mid-exercise fueling during long sessions.  I don't bother with anything up to 10K, but after 10K I think I need something. 

Most Active