Carb Intake Advice

Jennifer P.
on 4/9/13 1:52 am - MN
RNY on 07/31/12

Hi all!  I've never posted in here but have recently begun exercising and am finding I am EXHAUSTED.  

Let me give you a little background first:  I am 8 months post op RNY.  I have lost a total of 120 lbs and am now at 164.  I started a couch to 5k program back in December and ran my first 5k on March 9th in 38 minutes!  I loved every second of it and am now addicted to running and exercise (in a healthy manner).  However, since mid March, I have found myself to be completely exhausted.  I have a hard time going for a run, let alone getting out of bed!  

I spoke with my brother who is a trainer and is very aware of my surgery.  He asked me how many carbs I'm taking in.  It's pounded into our heads to focus on protein, so even when I started to exercise 3-5 days a week, I wasn't thinking about the carbs.  I was just making sure I upped my protein levels since I was lifting weights along with the running.  I think this is where my exhaustion is coming from.  I'm not getting enough carbs to fuel my body.  So that's where my question comes in:  How do I figure out how many carbs I should eat with taking into consideration my RNY?  MyFitnessPal says 180 grams of carbs a day, but it doesn't know I've had RNY - that would be close to impossible with my egg sized pouch, right?  How many carbs should I get in a day?  I know the difference between simple and complex carbs and what to eat when, I just don't know HOW MUCH.  Anyone's help is GREATLY appreciated!!!

Jen

LJ1972
on 4/9/13 7:49 am - FL

I would wonder too about your calorie intake?

I am 19mths out but before a TOUGH workout I usually have a bowl of good thick (not instant) oatmeal with some peanut butter mixed in.   Be careful increasing carbs though because some folks do NOT react well to them.

Do you have a dietitian or nutritionist you can address this with?

COURAGE TO START, STRENGTH TO ENDURE, RESOLVE TO FINISH 
                              HW 353 SW 317 Original GW 180  Current Wt  170 
                               First 5k 59:18; 5k PR 32:06;  1st 10k 1:20:27; PR 1:08:36
                                                    1st Half Marathon 2:48

Pensacola Double Bridge Run 15k- 1:47:34
                                                  Three Sprint Triathlons

Jennifer P.
on 4/9/13 9:08 am - MN
RNY on 07/31/12

Now that you mention it, I'm guessing my calorie intake isn't high enough either.  I am making an appointment tomorrow with my nutritionist.  I know I can have some carbs as I've already introduced things such as whole wheat bread, fruit, etc.  

Most Active