How to find a good personal trainer

imitation700mb
on 3/26/13 10:17 pm, edited 3/26/13 10:19 pm - UK
simmie78
on 3/27/13 3:12 pm

Hi - this is off the top of my head - but there are tons of resources on the internet for this as well - a bit of googling will get you a long way...in the meantime, here you go!

Most trainers will offer an intro session for you to work out with them and to see if they are a good fit - it will either be free or 50% their normal rate.  You will not know if they are a good fit until you meet them in person - like most things in life, sometimes you just click with someone's personality.  Everyone is different for their preferences - do you want someone who is big and meaty or lean and long?  MOST of the time, their workout styles mimic their bodies - makes sense, right?  You need to think about your body goals and when you meet with your trainer be ready to discuss them.

How to find a trainer:

1. Google personal trainers and your city - websites should pop up and have a look at them.  Make some inquire on fees, availbaility, etc.
  2. All gyms have trainers - but most you will have to join - are you a member of a gym already?
  3. Depending on where you are - YELP.com or yahoo will have reviews of trainers.

All trainers should do an assessment on you - height, weight, body fat comp, BMI, measurements, etc.  This will help you measure progress.

Most trainers sell packages - don't commit to anything too long term - you may not like them - 5 sessions should be enough to start with...you will have some idea after the first session, but first sessions are mostly them testing your limits and seeing where you are in terms of strength, comfort, flexibility, etc.  All trainers are nice the first session;-)  I have had first sessions and never went back because I didn't like the workout - but I have had 4 amazing trainers in my life and know what I want (usually).

Most trainers will tell you two things and they are true.  1 - you should see them a min of 2 days a week for the best results.  2 - all the working out in the world with a trainer will not help if your diet is crap (we don't have that problem as much as non-WLS people!).

Things I have asked trainers/things you need from them:

1. What time slots do you have available?
  2. What do you specialize in?  (e.g. I have a trainer who specializes in boxing, some might have a yoga/pilates/TRX/weight training background).
  3. Rates? What's the cancelation policy?
  4. Have you worked with people who need to lose a significant amount of weight?  What kind of success/results have you seen with those clients?
  5. How do you motivate people? Can you be mean to me when I need you to be? 
  6. How often do you mix up routines?  I get bored - I need variety.
  7. Do you have a program?  Like if I start at X do I progress to Y after a month and then to Z after two months (this isn't for everyone - and they might not tell you I had an amazing trainer in NYC and I never realized I progressed to stage 2 of the "program" until he told me one day...)
  8. I want a full body work out each time - we should be challenging multiple parts of my body with each exercise.  Circuit training/power sets - work the best for me.

Things they should ask:

1. Do you have any injures or limitations?
  2. What are you goals?  Weight loss, firming, toning?
  3. What do you enjoy doing for exercise?
  4. How much cardio do you do?
  5. Have you ever lifted/worked out with a trainer before?  What did you like/not like?
  6. Do you have anything you want to improve upon?
  7. Is there anything you don't like doing in terms of exercise? (They should ask - for example, I don't LIKE lunges - tough sh*t I have to do them anyway;-))   

Hope this helps a little - happy to answer questions - I've had to find trainers a few times...I still haven't found one in my current city that I like...;-)

Currently 180 - 76 lbs lost! Surgery 11/7/12, 36 years old, 5'8". I live in Hong Kong and it's a bit different here!

jjte
on 3/27/13 9:47 pm

Thank you so very much, this helps alot!!!

KeepOn
on 3/28/13 3:28 am

The information you've gotten so far is great. I would add the following:

When was selecting my trainer I asked about their personal experience with getting a fit body. This kind of tells you if they may have shared the same type struggles as yourself. I personally didn't want to train with someone who was an athletic all their lives.

I told her that I wanted to learn how to work out various part of my body using equipment I  could have at home (exercise ball, bosu ball, dumb bells) I didn't want to be stuck having to use gym equipment.

I wanted to learn different exercises each time we met and not  just repeat a routine. My time with this trainer was costly and I wanted to make it worth my $$$$$. NOTE:after each session I immediately wrote in a notebook all the exercises, the how to's the do's and don'ts, and the what for information.  I would practice these new moves during the  week.

It is important to have a trainer who explains the proper way to do an exercise as well as the wrong ways.

It's always good to ask what it is you should be feeling when working at a specific area to make sure you are doing it properly.

There is always the encouragement, motivation, and extra push you get from a good trainer that helps.

After about 10 sessions you should be able to know how to workout you body and even push yourself beyond your own limits.

I have begun working out with  coworkers who always enjoy my pushing them and sharing info.

Best of luck to you.  I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how a trainer can really get you excited about exercise. This coming from  someone who never thought they would workout in a gym much less have a personal trainer.

Most Active