Running

rebecca_ann
on 3/21/13 6:12 am

Hi! I am three years out and have really been getting into fitness lately...I am doing a class 3x a week that is 1 hour of strength training but I want to pick up running to get my weight loss down some more and to be toned more overall.

Should I be doing sprints, tempo runs or long jogs? I am lost!

Thanks!  :)

rickellz
on 3/21/13 6:46 am - Canada

You should try a walk to run class or something similar and they will use a variety of techniques to get you up and running properly to avoid injuries. I would also look at yoga/core & strength class in addition to the running and your other class.

billmacc7
on 3/21/13 11:52 am - MA

Hi Rebecca-I am a little over 2 years out. I love working out, and have been going to the gym since I was about 1 month post op. Around a year or so ago I wanted to start running. I did some research and ending up doing the training for the couch to 5 K, often known as c25k on the cool runnings website. Since then I have done several 5K's, 10k's and just did my first 1/2 Marathon!! I feel awesome from doing it.

Good Luck...

Yours in Running,
Bill Mac

Yours in WLS Journey,

Bill Mac

nfarris79
on 3/24/13 1:22 am - Germantown, MD

PP gave good advice - a structured class or group training can get you started in the best way to prevent injuries. Save the sprints & tempo runs for when you're trying to improve pace. Long runs will depend on what is your ultimate goal - if you're trying for long-distances like Half- or Full-Marathons, then there are specific training programs that can get you there, but often running clubs or gyms or running stores have specific programs for beginning runners or those shooting for 5Ks and 10Ks. Good luck and happy running!!!

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

Sam LifeNerd
on 3/24/13 10:33 pm

C25k is a great plan to start... and LONG distance runners are almost always pretty skinny.  I am wanting to ramp up my running again this spring and maybe do a 10k or 15k this year.

Strength training will help your running (especially squats, etc) and the running will help your lifting (endurance!)

rjsams
on 4/16/13 4:20 am - Eagan, MN

There are lots of C25K programs out there, and most are good.  They will typically advocate walk/run intervals, adding in progressively more running and less walking as you get fitter.  Don't be afraid to repeat a week if you feel the next step is too hard, but also don't be afraid to push yourself.  You will be surprised at what you can accomplish!

I started with the C25K and have now run 3 half-marathons and countless other races.  I'm training for the Fargo Half-marathon in May, and shooting for 50 half-marathons in 50 states!

JsSkinnyMom
on 4/16/13 6:28 am - Youngsville, LA

Don't stress out about it in the beginning.  Just hit the road.  See how long you can run for and try to do a little better each week.  C25K is great if you like structure.  Don't worry about pace, just run for the fun of it.  You'll have plenty of time a little later to stress over training plans, speed work, LSRs, etc.  Good luck!!

J's Skinny Mom  

HW 238 / SW 235 / CW 120  
Most Active