anyone complete a couch to 5k?

(deactivated member)
on 2/23/13 9:56 pm - Lower Burrell, PA

I have asthma and want to know if anyone here has completed the couch to 5k program. There are tons of them on line. I just want to know if this is something I could do and would I just be screwing myself up if I tried starting it now or should I wait till I'm healed up after surgery. Surgery is april 10th

billmacc7
on 2/24/13 3:26 am - MA

Hi truleefrea,

I did the Couch to 5K a little over a year ago or so. I have now completed about 1/2 dozen 5k's, 2 10k's, and now training for my 1st 1/2 Marathon!! So I would endorse it wholeheartedly. I use the plan from the website cool running for my training. If you are unsure due to the medical issues like asthma or not having surgery yet, I would check with your doc. Good Luck!

Yours in WLS Journey,

Bill Mac

acbbrown
on 2/24/13 4:52 am - Granada Hills, CA

Definitely start now. I didnt do C25K but I did do a similar type program to train for my 1/2 marathon. I ran that a couple weeks before I had major plastic surgery and while it was really sad to lose a lot of fitness/progress, going into surgery strong and fit was a huge help in recovery. I also trained for and did my firsst 5K a month before my VSG surgery and even though i felt like I had to start over once i recovered, it was one of the best things I did for myself. The stronger and healthier you are before any surgery - the more  you reduce the chance of complications. So go for it!

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

(deactivated member)
on 2/24/13 5:11 am - Lower Burrell, PA

thanks I can't wait to get started

KatCooper
on 2/24/13 11:39 pm - Collierville, TN

It took me two times to get through it and when I was done, I still couldn't completely run a 5k, but I kept going.  I just finished my 3rd half marathon.  :-)   Its the best thing I ever did for myself.  Do NOT worry about how far or fast you go.  Just show up ready to go and do it.  If you have to repeat a week once or twice do it.  It doesnt mean failure, it means you want it.  Best of luck to you!! Talk to your Dr. about your asthma.  Keep you inhaler with you if you dont know how you will react to exercise.  

Kat

Lots of 5K's, 10K's., 4 1/2 Marathons, 3 Sprint Triathlon done. 2 Olympics and my  First IRONMAN 70.3 September 2013 and First Full Marathon Dec 2013  !!!!!

My blog- www.NPRunner.blogspot.com

Paul C.
on 2/25/13 1:46 am - Cumming, GA

Not me.

I quit Couch 2 5K after 2 weeks

Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
rjsams
on 2/25/13 3:27 am - Eagan, MN

I started with walking, and then moved on to a C25K program.  I used one from Sparkpeople, but there are a bunch of them out there.  If you use a smartphone, there are a lot of apps that you can use with your music and the GPS on your phone to track your time and distance, etc.  Jeff Galloway's website is also a great tool for walk/run programs.

I have done three half-marathons and numerous smaller races now.  You can do it!  Go for it.

Most Active