Muscle Craps and Spasms

Teasha1
on 2/22/13 2:20 pm
VSG on 06/04/12

This may sound like a crazy question; but here goes.

Does anyone else suffer from muscle spasms/cramps that lock up your legs so bad that you can not move you are in such pain. I ran yesterday and 30 hours later I am having such bad cramps.  It is like my legs seize up and I just want to scream. 

I work out 5 to 6 times a week. Walking/running/biking and weight resistance. I have been doing that for over a year; so it isn't new. Every so often I have the muscle thing happening.

Is it possible it is a nutrient that I am missing? I am not dehydrated I am drinking 14 cups and more of fluids a day - 12 of those are straigh****er; and two cups of coffee.

Any suggestions sure would help.  Thanks Lorna

Dr. Sauceda future patient  - body will be by Sauceda!

Surgery 4 Jun 12 Dr Ponce de Leon in Mexico I was down 57 lbs prior to surgery.

rickellz
on 2/22/13 10:22 pm - Canada

There could be so many reasons, I would advise to have GP check things out. I get the same thing when I am dehydrated, but in your case it doesn't look that is the case.

Hefty
on 2/23/13 7:09 am

Could be dehydration or low potassium.

Paul C.
on 2/25/13 1:50 am - Cumming, GA

Dehydration will cause this.  Dehydration isn't just abou****er but also about the electrolytes you lose such as sodium and potassium.  

I have such issues that I pretty much only drink Powerade Zero and have a script for muscle relaxers for when it is real bad.

Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
rjsams
on 2/25/13 3:37 am - Eagan, MN

I agree--I would definitely look at low sodium or potassium as the culprit, but check with your doctor.  I know that if I eat half a banana when I have a leg cramp it goes away pretty fast, but YMMV. 

I ran a half-marathon that was extremely hilly and crossed the finish line with bad cramps in my calves.  I went immediately looking for the bananas which are typical post-race food, and the volunteers said they dumped the bananas because they were "soft."  I was shocked!  Who cares if they are soft, runners want them for potassium and carbs?  The volunteers didn't get it.  cool

Teasha1
on 2/25/13 7:08 am
VSG on 06/04/12

Thanks guys for the info. I have started taking potassium in the last few days and so far so good; also started drinking poweraid 0. I think it was about the electrolites.

Dr. Sauceda future patient  - body will be by Sauceda!

Surgery 4 Jun 12 Dr Ponce de Leon in Mexico I was down 57 lbs prior to surgery.

LuckyBella
on 2/26/13 9:36 am

I get the same thing! Strangely, I notice it gets worse when I take my calcium and when I drink energy drinks. Not Powerade Zero but 5 hour energy or energy powder drinks. Other than the possible calcium link ( which you should look into because there have recently been some articles about calcium supplements and cardiovascular risks) I say, it's dehydration/electrolytes. My cramps happen in my left leg only which is also my only leg that has varicose veins and the side that hurts when my sciatica acts up. Maybe you can identify if there is something else contributing to a "weak" side. Good Luck! I know it's painful!

Most Active