Supplements, Are they necessary.

T-Roy
on 1/18/13 1:30 pm
My question is about supplements while running. I am a VSG person, with a 1/2 marathon in my near future. The farthest I have ran is 11 miles, but that was a month ago. I would like some advise about keeping the energy up during the run, any advise? I have not had anything bu****er while running on my past runs, but if something can help me to reach my goal minimizing the feeling like **** I would appreciate your advise.

Thanks!!
KatCooper
on 1/19/13 5:37 am - Collierville, TN

I use GUs about every 3-4 miles.  I like the peanut butter the best. It has the consistency of peanut butter.   My running buddy HATES the gels and uses the chews.  I have friends who run with a granola bar.   The GU's dont **** of my pouch either (I had RNY)   I have also learned when I am out of energy, use a gel, even if it was just 2 miles ago. I have finally learned to listen to my body.  My first 1/2 I didnt use a gel at mile 11 because I was almost done....big mistake for me.  I needed extra energy the last 2 miles.   My second one I took one weather I thought I needed it or not.   I dont eat before I run though, so that may make a difference.   If I run over 6 miles, I run with G2 in my water bottle.  I am a heavy sweater and drink about 20 oz of fluid on a 10 mile run.    What training program are you using?  Hal Higdon has a good free plain online.   Best of luck on your 1/2!!!   

Lots of 5K's, 10K's., 4 1/2 Marathons, 3 Sprint Triathlon done. 2 Olympics and my  First IRONMAN 70.3 September 2013 and First Full Marathon Dec 2013  !!!!!

My blog- www.NPRunner.blogspot.com

(deactivated member)
on 1/19/13 6:37 am

I drink plain water that carry with me and that I can fill up my bottle at fountains/out of the hoses of a few houses out on my loop (with their permission). I've not tried any of the gels or blocks or anything like that but if I'm going to be out much over an hour or so, I will take something easy to eat/carry with me- 10 or so peanut butter M&Ms or 2 Fig Newtons in a Ziploc bag in my SPI belt has been enough to get me through though I haven't ever gone for more that 2 hours, never felt anything close to a bonk.

T-Roy
on 1/20/13 1:03 pm

Thanks for the advice. Have not tried any protein supplements (which I think I need)

?? To get me to my goal.   So, next week I have a 9 mile planned and I will try a gel supplement.  I like peanut butter, too!  

Most Active