Please Share your Fitness Transformation Stories!

Dazzling
on 1/10/13 4:43 am - DC

I have been reading over the board and am very impressed with everyone's accomplishments and goals!  I am about to venture into my personal "Year of Living Dangerously" and am committed to become fit in the coming 13 months.  I turn 49 on Feb. 5th and am determined to enter my 50's with fitness permanently integrated into my life.  It feels like now or never, put up or shut up and all that. 

My story in a nutshell:  I had a VSG mid 2009 and lost 80lbs in 8 months without exercising once, sad to say.  I have worked out seriously decades ago and have read a great deal--- ars ago.  Knowledge about how to get in shape isn't a problem.  What might pose a problem is faith -- belief in myself. 

I like to say that I am a human puddle person--lol -- in terrible cariovascular condition and without defined muscles.  I did pilates (love love love it but too expensive) for a couple of years recently, but have never run regularly.  I am ambitious and competitive and can be stoic, but am afraid I will get so mad at myself when I finally step back into the gym next Monday that I will lose heart. 

SO!  I would love to hear about how people here have made the change, the life transformation that has you running marathons and other such miracles!   When and why did you decide to become fit?  How long did it take?  What has your journey looked like/felt like?  What kept you going when it got tough? What were the challenges?  How did you tolerate the slow pace of improvement (yes, I am impatient)?  And anything else you care to add!!

I am pretty isolated right now - 2 special needs boys and in the midst of a divorce - so there are no support systems to bolster me along.

I look forward to getting to know you all!

Jenny

acbbrown
on 1/10/13 5:31 am, edited 1/10/13 5:31 am - Granada Hills, CA

Welcome! This is one of the best places to be if you want to get active, and meet lots of supporting friends :)

My main motivation came from this forum - it was one of the first forums I explored when I joined OH in 2010. I was amazed that people could have WLS, lose a lot of weight, and accomplish such amazing things like marathons and triathlons.

I started walking when I was 420 lbs. I could barely walk 10 min at 2.0mph on the TM. My first whole mile probably took me 30 minutes. Since I started, Ive pretty consistently remained active - sometimes, more active than others, but mostly consistent. It does take time to make progress, but if you keep a log or somehow track your progress, it's easy to look and see that you are in fact making progress.  

I did my first 5K a month before my VSG and walked it in about 50 minutes. The next year, I did the same annual event and ran my first 10k - it was great to look back and see how far I had come.

Fast forward 2.5 years from when I first started , and I ran my first 1/2 marathon in October. Along the way, I did a number of 5ks/10ks/15ks runs. I did some cycling for a while and completed a metric century. I actually enjoyed doing things like spinning and kick boxing/boxing. 

I met quite a few people through OH that have kept me motivated and have encouraged and inspired me. I actually did my 1/2 marathon with a friend from OH and will be doing my next 1/2 with several people from OH. It helps to build a support system whether here online or in person. 

It's not easy -it's hard to push yourself outside of your comfort zone, push your body further than you thought you could, learn to tune out the self doubts, the negative thoughts, etc - you will have to deal with injuries, and learning how to take care of your body. It's easier when you set some goals that you are working towards - register for a race or event or something like that.

Im currently recovering from extensive plastic surgery, so I feel like I am pretty much starting from scratch again - it's hard, it sucks, but I know that as long as I stay consistent, and work hard, I'll get my fitness back. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Scott William
on 1/10/13 8:10 am

My story is in a link in my signature.  I hope you have a long long of your life to throw away!  kiss

Sounds like you have your hands full!  Best of luck as you move forward!!!

Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Supergirl7877
on 1/10/13 1:02 pm
When I started on my treadmill 2mph killed me. As it got easier I started playing. On my treadmill I had a 1/4 track that would might up so I would challenge myself and say "I bet I can go 3.5 to the too of the track..." And when 3.5 was easy I went faster and longer. I devoted 30 minutes a day. I can't remember how far I went but once it became faster I realized the next 1/4 mile would put me at like 3 miles...and then a 5k and now it is between 4.5-5 miles a day in my 45 minute time frame...so start where you start and work your way up. . I suggest that you just chose an amount of time and go.

Also, a little over two years ago I hurt my knee and started to do my physical therapy exercises each night. I also worked in abs and push-ups into my routine. I started at 10 "girl" push ups...today I do 75 a night. I lay on the floor and do my routine while watching Duck Dynasty...well except for when I do workout DVDs.

For me, exercise
Supergirl7877
on 1/10/13 1:06 pm
Silly phone!

For me, exercise has been my life tool. I used bodybugg to lose my weight and I had to burn more calories than I consumed (as we all do!!)...being active really gave me the edge over overeating and helped me accomplish what I have. I know, for me, if I do not stay very active I will gain everything back...so that is what keeps me motivated!! I want this lifestyle for life and I want my children to avoid the pain of obesity. *I* have to be their leader!
Phatchick
on 1/10/13 9:29 pm - Brookfield, IL
VSG on 04/16/12

I had VSG in April 2012 and started walking for 10 mins on the TM a month later. I was only able to do it because of the motivation of others on this forum.

I did not attend any of the monthly weight loss meetings after surgery at my surgeons office, because I wanted to only immerse myself around people who were 100% successful in their fitness journey.

On OH, I only read positive stories of folks who had a BMI over 50 like myself, who had transformed themselves with exercise. I made myself believe i would be one of those people.

In 10 months I have transformed my thinking. I am striving to be as physically fit as possible. My workouts are one of the top 3 most important things I do everyday.  I work out at least 5 days a week and strive for at least a 45 minute aerobic activity like swimming or aerobics and then weight training.I spend about 2 hrs everyday at the gym. I am constantly pushing myself to be faster, stronger and healthier. When I get busy and life gets in the way, I think of ways to get my work out in. I do whatever it takes to just do it.

The trick is to find something you love, and open yourself up to possibilities.Looking back, I would have never believed I could step in a gym. I wanted to isolate and stay at home and do workout DVDs and  walk on my treadmill.  But, I got so bored I wanted to stop after 3 months. Out of desperation, I opened my mind to the possibility of taking a class at my community gym. That was the start of my real fitness life. I have a gym membership that I use everyday. I miss the gym on my days off and on holidays.

The faith in one's self only comes after accomplishing something. If I can do it at the age of 54 with a starting BMI of 56, anyone can do it. I have faith you can do this.

Hugs,

Sharon

Kim S.
on 1/11/13 12:47 am - Helena, AL

Welcome!  First, this board is the best place for support regardless of what your fitness level/goal is. There is no judgement here-just support, praise and advice.

My story:

I was 324 lbs at 44 years old.  I had no co-morbidities but they all run in my immediate family, so my day was coming.  I was scared that I couldn't do the simplest of things without getting winded.  My husband and I love to travel and be active, but I was holding us back.  I'd had enough of the yo-yo dieting and failure at keeping the weight off-I'd been successful at every single thing in my life EXCEPT controlling my weight.

When I decided on WLS my sweet, never overweight husband declared that if I was going to do it, I was going to do it right, so I had to start exercising.  And I did.  I began when I started the 6 month supervised diet. I started slow-just walking on the treadmill and using the weight machines.  I cried because everything hurt, but I was not going to let us down....I set small goals and one by one I reached them. After my surgery, I started increasing my workouts and challenging myself more.  When I was close to goal, I saw the P90X commercial.  As a joke, I told my husband we should get it.  He said ok.  I ordered it, and cried like a sissy girl for the first few weeks.  My sweet husband lasted about a week....then he bailed on me. 

To this day I love P90X, running, hiking, boot camp and boxing.  I do some yoga too.  I'm not the fastest, and I don't have the biggest muscles, but I am the best me I can be.  I can't imagine my life without fitness now-it is as normal as breathing to me now.

Best wishes on your journey.

michael B.
on 1/11/13 3:29 am - MA
VSG on 03/19/12

I started jogging a couple of months after surgery. At first I couldn't run a half mile without stopping. Now I am up to 11 miles and training for the Boston Marathon in April! I also got into cycling and did a charity 150? mile bike ride. I do a Crossfit class once a week but other than that I spend almost no time in the gym at all. I try to get a few 4-5 mile runs in before work during the week and then a long run on the weekend. I said 20 years ago I would run a marathon...I just turned 41 so if I'm going to do it the time is now...no more excuses!

Burnsy  (ticker starts 2wks pre op)                        
Airpun79
on 1/13/13 11:04 am - Jacksonville, FL

Hi Dazzling!
I had VSG on July 20, 2012. At that time I weighed 360 with a BMI of 53.  I am now almost 6 months post op and down to 240 lbs. Immediately after surgery I began walking 2 miles 3x a week for the the 1st month and I increased my walks to 2.5-3 miles and then added a 4th day (Saturdays).  After a couple of weeks and when I was cleared by my doctor I then added some sit-ups and push-ups and jump ropes before and after my walks.  Doing this I loss 70 lbs....down to 290 lbs at this point.  I then ran into a childhood friend that introduced my to Crossfit.  I had no clue what it was so I researched it and I became really intrigued by it so I checked out a local gym.  Needless to say I've been doing it since October and I'm down to 240 lbs and have gained an incredible amount of strength, stamina, endurance, and confidence.  Crossfit is not for everyone but I can tell you that it has changed my life. 

I normally post on the VSG forum so you can check out my posts if you wish for more details.  Also, take a look at my profile for some before and after pictures.  Although I still have about 40-45 lbs to goal, I am really pleased so far with my progress. 

Let me know if you have any questions.  Take care and best wishes! -Larry

HW: 360      SW: 351             CW: 212         GOAL: 200 
Monthly Weight Loss Progression:
M1:-46 M2:-24 M3:-14 M4:-17 M5:-9 M6:-13 M7:-7 M8:-5  M9:-1 M10:-3 M11:-8 M12: -10

Dazzling
on 1/15/13 7:08 am - DC

Wow! What great replies! Thank you for taking the time to share your journey with me  :)

Like I said, it's hard to believe I might join your fit-addicted ranks one day, but here's hoping.

I apologize for not replying sooner and individually, but I was struggling along with re-entry into dieting with super low calories and carbs and finding it just doesn't work for me anymore - there is no way I could exercise with that level of energy.  I couldn't even focus enough to write emails!  So, adjusting! It's a bit scary that the old diet won't work.

ACBBrown - Thank you for your warm welcome!  You must be very, very proud of your accomplishments.  From 420 to running half a marathon -- that is amazing.  And I am dying to hear about your PS with Sauceda (questions, questions)!! I am hoping to get that done after my divorce is final and I have done the most I can do with fitness/weight lifting, etc.  I love the pics on doc. agha's site - out in LA, but he may be unaffordable.

Scott-  I went to your blog and read a good portion of it! Thanks!  I wasn't sure but have you posted lately? Do you still run? It looks like you have always been an athlete and capable of great discipline.  135 lbs in 6 months!   I have been fit, a long time ago, and it seems like it takes quite a while to get to the point where it is 'fun' but I do know it is possible! Has your son started jogging along? I would love it if my boys were inspired (12 and almost 9)

Supergirl- Did I read that right? You can do 75 regular push ups?! I can't do one. Or one pull up. That has always been one of my goals. The most I have ever been able to do is 5 pull ups - even when thin. Oy. Losing 160 lbs on your own - without the help of surgery - is a huge deal.  What focus and tenacity.  I hear what you say about running and will try. I am a bit nervous because I have had arthritis in the ball of one of my feet and don't want to aggravate it.  I am going to see a podiatrist to check it out.  But running is so appealing - shoes, the road, and you are ready. Plus down the line, the social aspect of it. We will see! I am curious about the body bugg - love gadgets. I think right now though I will hold off on anything. Have to prove to myself that I am going to do it before I invest in anything.  How old are your children? I have two boys - one 12 and one turning 9 on Valentine's day.

Sharon - Thank you for your kind words of encouragement.  I think perhaps it is easy to forget how scary it is to commit to doing something - getting fit- not at all sure if you can rely on yourself to do it!  It sounds like you have really pulled through and that the boards have helped. I am not terribly good at getting involved online, although I would like to be.  "The trick is to find something you love, and open yourself up to possibilities" - so beautifully written.  Before a series of personal difficulties (child illness, insane boyfriend..very scary...) got me off-line so to speak, I had found some things I loved to do. Pilates is awesome and does amazing things to the body. I found muscles I never knew I had. My back never hurt. Never had a headache.  But it costs an arm and a leg and I can't afford it now. I may look into doing it on my own as best I can.  I also tried one class of belly-dancing to work on my core. What fun! I have no motor planning ability, so when they tried to combine arms and hips and feet, I was lost, but it was still fun. Women of all sizes.  Sensual.  A definite workout.  I will maybe look at that too. I am looking forward to getting to know you!

Kim- Hi again! P-90!! That is some kick-a** program.  I may have some of the CD's downstairs somewhere....lol.  It sounds like you have really taken control of your destiny - and genetics - by getting the surgery and becoming fit.  You look like you are having serious fun in your pics. ;0

Michael- A fellow Bostonian! I was just there over xmas. Where are you from? Did you grow up there? I grew up in Newton, west of the city.  Growing up in Boston (and being as old as I am), I have always had a certain awe of the marathon and respect for fitness.  All that stoic Bostonian character...lol.  We had marathons before there were marathons : )  So you are running this next one? This will be one of those things you never forget.  It sounds like you enjoy crossfit. It is pretty big here in DC but intimidates me being so out of shape. I imagine it is something to do once I have a foundation of basic ability...i.e. do not die after one mile running. What do you think?

Larry- Hey! You are a newbie! What an exciting time. It isn't that long ago for me but man, I remember how wonderful it is to rediscover your slim self...soon all the clothes fit, the mirror will be shocking you, people won't recognize you. That is a real trip -- people in my dog park did not know who I was!! Crazy. You are doing really, really well and, best of all, doing it right. I didn't work out and I do think there is a certain focus and determination and optimism that accompanies the year just after the operation that is worth using.  I will definitely follow your posts and consider posting my journey as I go along.  We might be somewhere around the same spot. You like cross fitness too -- I have the impression that it is best suited to people that are already fundamentally fit. Do I have that wrong?  What do you like about it?  Thanks for your story and keep in touch : )

Thank you everyone for giving me something to strive for!!

Jenny

Most Active